PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Odyssey is one of my go to tobaccos. Thought I would try Westminster as it seemed somewhat similar. Ugh. It did not sit well with me. Actually gave me bad taste and after taste. I smoked about 5 bowls of it.
Anyone else have this experience with Westminster? I got it jarred and will let it sit for a while and try it again.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Odyssey is quite a bit sweeter than Westminster, in my experience. I like my latakia blends a bit drier, as in not sweet, so I much prefer blends in the Westminster family versus the Odyssey family.
What other Pease latakia blends have you smoked?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Smoking a bowl of Westminster right now. I like it. A bit of maltiness does come through as the bowl progresses, but I agree that the flavour profile is predominantly dry and pleasantly sour, with a little tartness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember there are at least two Westminsters, G.L. Pease (I assume that's the one being discussed?) and Sutliff.

G.L. has a generally good rep, although maybe not with natibo. Sutliff Westminster is a similar blend, a nice,

mild, balanced English blend that I find tasty. I'm still aging my GLP version.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
The other I routinely smoke is Haddo's delight, which is sweet. Therefore, I think you're on to something.
If you're looking for something like Odyssey but a bit lighter, try out some Maltese Falcon. I'm finding it too sweet for my tastes, and most of the Pease latakia catalogue consists of the drier blends like Westminster, Charing Cross, Abingdon, etc.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Natibo, I feel exactly as you do. I am not a fan of Westminster but Odyssey is pretty close to being my favorite tobacco. I agree that the sweetness plays a role, but I also think the presence of more latakia and different orientals in Odyssey also contribute to my preferring it. I've also noticed that my preference for sweeter latakia mixtures is pretty consistent across the rest of Pease's line-up, i.e. I like Maltese Falcon and Sextant over, say, Quiet Nights or Charing Cross. But I definitely think that jarring it up is the thing to do, as most smokers' tastes seem to change over time. You might come back to it in a few years and think it's the best thing you've ever had!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Odyssey and Westminster are quite different blends. Odyssey is Pease's most latakia-forward Balkan; Westminster is a full English, inspired by the original Dunhill version of London Mixture.
To my way of thinking -- and I do tend to keep blends in their categories -- a "lighter" take on the Odyssey/Balkan experience would be Pease's Caravan, a middle-weight Balkan. (Charing Cross is also a wonderful Pease Balkan, but the orientals there are tangier/spicier.)
If Westminster isn't quite striking the chord, then Abingdon and Maltese Falcon are good alternatives to sample.
Bob

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Westminster is certainly drier - you might want to just set it aside and try it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.