Southeast US
I noticed a lot of difference between tobaccoreviews.com and P&C descriptions
tobaccoreviews.com ranking it as a full and P&C noting it as mild to medium
I suppose I should trust tobaccoreviews more? As I skipped it on P&C's review

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've never smoked Odyssey, BUT I trust tobaccoreviews.com and specifically two users there, who are both on here btw, Jiminks and Pipstud.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not sure how anyone could classify Odyssey as anything but full. It is the most latakia-forward blend that GLP makes, and the other flavors provide strong support.
However, it is not strong in nicotine, so perhaps some reviewers base their assessment on nicotine levels rather than, say, flavor or aroma.

Jun 27, 2016
I'm not sure how anyone could classify Odyssey as anything but full. It is the most latakia-forward blend that GLP makes, and the other flavors provide strong support.
I think that it's full-flavored, but I don't think that it's because of the Latakia. The Latakia is there, and I notice some (unpleasant to me) occasional cigar notes, but the Orientals are the most noticeable flavor component of this blend to me. It's a pretty unique flavor for me so far out of my current tobaccos, and it's a fairly strong flavor, so if I ask myself if Odyssey is full-flavored, I think so because of that stronger and most noticeable flavor of the Orientals.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jeff said
remember one mans mild is another mans strong.
. Absolutely correct, and that's why Tobacco Reviews is the best place to look, because it conflates the reviews of several writers. In particular, as I've previously noted, a review by Jiminks should especially be heeded. He has a particularly discerning palate, and is able to detect and describe all the subtleties and nuances present in a particular tobacco, including its strength. If he describes a tobacco as falling into the mild to medium category, that's exactly what it is. Have no fear that you will be overwhelmed by a tobacco you thought was mild, that turned out to hit you like a ton of bricks. When Jiminks reviews it, as the saying goes, you can put that one in your pipe and smoke it. Needless to say, that will have nothing to do with whether you will like the tobacco or not. I've see plenty of reviewers write a bunch of drivel, and then say: "but I don't like Virginia's, so I'll give this one two stars." Jim is perfectly capable of separating his personal likes and dislikes from an accurate description of the tobacco. 100% accurate.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The discrepancy is because we differentiate between strength (nicotine level) and flavor intensity (in which we rate Odyssey as Intensive, which is our fullest rating).
Russ

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've never smoked Odyssey, BUT I trust tobaccoreviews.com and specifically two users there, who are both on here btw, Jiminks and Pipstud.
That's funny, I skip all the reviews except pipestud and JimInks too!

There may be one or two other reviewers I trust, but half of them are people who will go give Nightcap 1 star and say, "I hate anything that has latakia in it." It's a bit like reviewing a red wine and, after giving it one star, writing, "I hate all red wine."

Status
Not open for further replies.