PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I have a good 6 or 7 tins of Burley containing blends left to sample, in my quest to find a few more I like and try to nail down why some appeal to me while most repulse. The tin of ODF was a little over a year in age and it had been beckoning to me for some time. So last night, one of my few pipe smoking friends was coming over and I needed to pull something for us to puff and decided it was time to see what the fuss was about. I think part of me was concerned that I would not like it and it would be one more legendary smoke that didn't do it for me but one can only speculate for so long. Popping the tin I was greeted with BBQ sauce, Worcestershire, molasses, raisin, and some chocolate. It was almost overpowering and definitely made me pull my head back from the tin to get a breath of air in between sniffs. My friend had arrived a tad early so I nuked three flakes for 7 seconds and it was nice and dry. We each loaded up, me in my smallest bowl bulldog and he in his MM. Doing my charring lights I was really enjoying the flavors and aroma. Much to my surprise, I liked the blend right out of the gate. Sweet, sour, meaty, more of that Worcestershire, nice notes from the Virginias supporting without ever becoming the dominant player. It even exhibited some of the cigar notes that I usually dislike but they seemed right in place in this blend. Then around 1/3 of the bowl in, I got pimp slapped by vitamin N. I knew this was a blend with some present so I had been going slowly but there was no avoiding it. I let the pipe go out and sat for another 20 minutes then lit it back up. I got a handful of sips in and started to feel the same. I had eaten previous to the smoke but an hour or so had passed and boy, I just didn't feel like continuing. This was a bit disappointing, as I was very curious to see how the second half of the bowl would present. However, I have always maintained that not being a cig smoker, that my lightweight nicotine tolerance was a good thing and not something I should seek to vanquish. I think I will keep the tin around and always eat a full and heavy meal before loading up the ODF but I was pleasantly shocked by how much I enjoyed it. Burley remains a mystery for me, occasional friend and often foe but I will forage on through the jungle of blends seeking those that rub me the right way.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, damn good tasty stuff ain't it!

One of my favorites albeit I've never gotten a nic. hit from it. Then again, I imagine I'm somewhat tolerant of nicotine after smoking cigarettes for 50+ years.

Mar 1, 2014
On Friday I tried some 1792. Still don't have those early warning signals yet

I gorged on chocolate spread with a bagel but I still had trouble thinking most of Saturday.
The most I can say for that stuff is "works as advertised".

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired is one of my favorites, and I smoke a bowl of it nearly every evening (after the evening meal).

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Just keep smoking it in smaller bowls. You will build a tolerance to it. :D
I love the stuff. Its in my top 3 regular smokes and the price for the bulk is very reasonable. One pound will fit into a quart canning jar, leaving the flakes upright. I think I have eleven pounds or so stashed away. For me, its a great all day smoke and goes good with anything. About the only bad thing I have to say is if you smoke it too fast, it can get bitter about midway. Its also decent as a DGT.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Just keep smoking it in smaller bowls. You will build a tolerance to it.

No way, that is what I am afraid of. :lol: That said, I will definitely take the chocolate advice. I don't think I'll ever try any of the true heavy weights like OJK or the like. I'm perfectly fine with my light weight status. This one will be a good occasional for me. Although I do slightly envy the idea of smoking it daily. :twisted:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Love that ODF! :puffy:
This week, I'm working through a tin of GLP JackKnife Plug.
If there are ODF lovers who have not tried this blend, I recommend it!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I liked ODF straight, I get a almost flowered note upon the char light. I saw a forum member smoke it 50/50 with McClelland's Red Cake. I think I prefer this to it straight, flavor wise. Might be worth giving it a try damyo perhaps it might tone down the Nic.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This week, I'm working through a tin of GLP JackKnife Plug.
If there are ODF lovers who have not tried this blend, I recommend it!
I've had a tin of Jack Knife Plug sitting around for a few months or so and I still haven't cracked it open. Maybe it's about time I do so!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I love the stuff. I can tell it is strong, but it doesn't overwhelm me. In fact, this thread got me wanting some, so I'm enjoying it right now.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Had a similar experience the other night. Have smoked burleys for many years, although not as much the last few. Opened a tin of ODF because I had heard so much good about it, filled med-to-large size bent, and retired to the deck with a glass of brandy. First several minutes were wonderful, and I was thinking, "Gotta get some more of this". Then about 2/3 of the way through the bowl, Ole Man Nick appeared. We worked our way through the bowl, but my head was definitely listening to Ole Nick! Hadn't had but two sips of the brandy.... After a little while I made a mental note, "Get more ODF, but keep my eyes open and my powder dry when playing with ODF".

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
ODF is one of my all time favorites, along with the good 'ol Irish Flake. Just got another pound of it a month or two ago. I can smoke this stuff all day long and be fine with the nic kick factor. I don't know if it is a tolerance i have built up or what, but it gives me a light and completely comfortable buzz, just enough to let me know it is there. I have never habitually smoked cigarettes, but i did convert to the pipe from cigars and preferred strong habanos and maduros, still do. I can smoke Irish Flake all day long as well. It does give me a little more of a buzz, but nothing out of hand and nothing that is past the comfortable point.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I was turned onto ODF by Bill Roberts' review on this site some time ago. It was a step off my normal line, but love at first puff. It's in my usual rotation and I have force myself to stick to the plan and not just chuck this into the mix every day. I've had the occasional nic nudge (as opposed to a kick) and I wouldn't smoke ODF if I had to go back to the office, but man you can really kick back with this stuff. Sugar, chocolate, spice and all things nice!
Andy

If I want something REALLY strong, I go for GH&co Dark Flake unscented or a few others that I keep in the arsenal. Those, you'll definitely need some chocolates or else the ground will start moving out from under you. But, they have a very cosmopolitan taste to them that I love, like a good dark cigar.

I've been meaning to try some of the rope, maybe the next TAD episode. But, I mostly smoke lighter flakes all day. I save the dances with lady nicotine for the last smoke of the day, so that I am asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Status
Not open for further replies.