PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
OK, the CFO gave her blessing to ordering five pounds of ODF. The recent talk about the FDA helped, lol. Anyway, I am torn between ordering flake or bulk. I've smoked both the flake and RR and aside from the RR smoking faster, they are both spot on in terms of flavor.
What would be your recommendation for ordering bulk ready ready rubbed over flake? Whichever gets the most vote I will go for.

I just prefer the flakes for diversity of how to prep it. I have five pounds in the cellar. I cut mine out to two oz per jar, which would have been easier with ready rubbed. But, if they are exactly the same, and you enjoy the broken flakes, you would probably find it easier to jar up in the RR version.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Flake: With 5 lbs. to manage, it takes up less space when packed into jars, and is more versatile -- like Cosmic said.

Just remember that the bulk flakes are longer than the tinned flakes, and must be shortened to fit into ½-pint jars.

The extra inch or so of trimmed flake can be cube-cut or rubbed and stored that way; or you can discard it and send it to me. :lol:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I would also go with the flake. You can rub out a flake if you prefer but you really can't make ribbon into a flake.
+1 on the versatility angle

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Flake all the way. Unless you really enjoy the ready rubbed as it's already prepared. Like I love Old growrie because of that. But 5 pounds I'd want some options.

Jan 8, 2013
Yep, although I love the ready rubbed for everyday smoking, if your buying that much I would go flake. Better for storing, and like cosmic said, more prep options.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would get the the ready rubbed myself. I actually opened and smoked my first flake of this blend yesterday. Very tasty. The tin does have considerable rust around the seal. While I usually favor tinned over bulk, this blend would be the exception. No point in risking long term storage with the tinned version IMHO. I generally steer clear of Burly blends but, again, this may be the exception to that rule. I rub out my flakes anyway so the ready rubbed wouldn't be a compromise for me. This one should make fans of Edgeworth Flake miss that blend much less. I don't believe aging, in either form will change this one much but it won't hurt it either.
Mike S.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Why do you have to get one or the other.. you can't get both? I don't know much, but I would think down the road the flake would age "better" than the RR. So if your gonna cellar it all get flake!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No, I can get both or a combination of both. The reason for getting a full five pounds of ready rubbed is that it would be one big bag that has remained sealed.
So its 13 for flake and 2 for ready rubbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.