PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Talk about a self-indulgent problem to have. But I feel nothing about both fantastic pipes. I've eye-balled them for a while, I love the style(Rhodesian)--but I'm going to have to return these because they'll get no use from me, and they will/should absolutely be prized by someone else.
I can't figure why this happened. It's like I hit a total wall with these two. Even though they really caught my eye online, in person I'm simply underwhelmed. Yet, an estate pipe I got shortly afterwards completely delights me.
You guys ever followed a pipe, loved it--and when you finally got it, realized maybe the idea of the pipe was better than the real thing? For me it comes down to enjoying the pipe vs simply owning/possessing it. I'm really disappointed and still can't quite figure out why both new pipes failed to please.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Oh yes, I've suffered from this. I love, love, love the look of a Bent Rhodesian or bulldog. But I hate smoking them.
So I'm stuck with Billiards and Dublins and the occasional straight Bulldog.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
You guys are gonna hate me for the two I can't love. I hate me for not loving them. But okay. I'll upload some pics before I pack them up. Hang on.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
So here's the two I'm returning that I'm upset I don't feel any excitement over. Especially the Viprati, man do like that grain, but nope.
Ardor:

ardor_rhodie_01.jpg

Viprati:

viprati_rhodie_03.jpg

And the estate that made me realize my PAD wasn't dead. This guy I really dig:

ASPC estate (and I don't usually like egg-shapes):

mark_tinsky_bent_egg_01.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
If it makes you feel any better I'm not moved by them either. If that doesn't make you feel any better I'm sorry.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I like that estate pipe bettet than the top two. I don't really think those rhodesians are super exciting.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I'll tell you though, that Ardor Rhodesian feels really comfortable in hand. It has a slightly raised spine under the bowl & between that and the nice craggy surface it's a real pleasure to hold. Just not enough to keep. Wanted the 2 Rs to be workhorses in the rotation. But it's not going to happen.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
Yep. My recent Tsuge Urushi purchase. Had been a dream pipe for years, but it doesn't smoke as well as my others and the draught hole has an odd briar/bamboo junction that causes issues. Thank god its gorgeous.

Jan 8, 2013
That stem just doesn't seem to go well with the Viprati, and I really don't like the stem shape or metal work on the army mount of the Ardor. It's only my opinion of course.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The two returnees are a certain kind of thing, and it happens they're not my kind of thing either. They push the style a lot without really speaking to the shape ... I'm not sure what I mean by that, but it came to mind.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
yes, SPC for the returns. The Viprati's stem is slightly crooked as well. Entire thing's a little tilted right--just noticed it and now I can't un-see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.