Odd thought about Canadian pipe repairers that occurred to me

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by Bill Nichols
  • Latest reply from canadianpuffer
  1. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the US we've got a pretty good batch of pipe repair pros. A thought occurred to me in thinking about how tough things are for our Canadian brethren/sistern. [sic, very] Serious question:

Are there any reputable/reliable Canadian pipe repair providers?

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great question

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steve Laug does resto, but not as a full time gig. https://rebornpipes.com/

I don't know of any who do it full time. There was a guy in Calgary who did it for some of the shops in town, but I have no idea who or what his skill level was.

Thing is, as a Canadian, there just isn't enough trade in pipes to make any kind of living at it - not enough people, not enough smokers, most especially, not enough pipe smokers.

I do the occassional repair when someone twists my arm hard enough, but it's rare and unpleasant.

And... it's just not that big a deal to ship a pipe to one of the qualified and competent American pipe fixer dudes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And... it's just not that big a deal to ship a pipe to one of the qualified and competent American pipe fixer dudes

I live in the US, but have shipped pipes to Canada and have had pipes shipped to me. On average I think it costs about $10 more. I could be wrong, but that's not a big deal.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed shipping internationally isn't much more than shipping domestically, but there is the added component of customs.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's Charles Lemon in Ontario. He has a website called Dad's Pipes where he blogs about the pipes he repairs, step by step. It's quite good. Rebornpipes does the same. I'm not sure if Charles does this full-time or not.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good question Bill.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

There’s a pipe shop in Oshawa “Victory Cigars/Victory Pipes” that take repairs. I believe they have a guy named Jack or something they contract it out too. I’ve had a replacement stem done and the work was fantastic and only like $25 CAD. I’ve had a few other friend get some restoration work that turned out well. Turn around tine was good too.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What pipe did you have the replacement stem done for? I have a couple of Peterson bowls that need a stem. I've been hoping to find original stems but that might be a needle in a haystack situation.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pruss told me about Victory Cigars in Oshawa as well. Good to know we have a few options. I have a 1911 GBD Speciale, however, that I will be sending to Cook's Fine Pipe Works in the future. For some pipes, you just want to make sure they get the royal treatment.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many Thanks, guys! Like I said, it just occurred to me while thinking about everything *else* our northern compadres have to suffer through. I figured it'd be pretty much like sas said:

just isn't enough trade in pipes to make any kind of living at it

Bill

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

Funny enough I had a stem cut for the pipe Pat/Pruss gave me before he left for NZ. It’s a comoy and looks and smokes great

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   disinformatique, 3rdguy, fernafast, tobefrank