PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I have a GBD New Era 9493 pot/lovat with a circumferential fissure or crack about 1 cm from the end of the shank. The crack does NOT extend to the edge of the shank, but I do assume it goes into the mortise. The stem fits with normal snugness, and the pipe is in very good condition otherwise. How worried should I be?

Doc

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Is it a crack or just a deep scratch? Just from this one pic, the line looks like it goes through the grain and not with it. The cracks I have had seemed to follow the grain pattern. Could always have it banded just to be on the safe side?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well I guess it comes down to how much you love the pipe? Love it and would pass through a fire to save it? Then I would band it to be on safe side. Not so much? smoke it until it breaks and then wrap some duct tape around it and carry on.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
About a year ago I was at an antique store and my little son grabbed a no name apple pipe and said "Daddy look your pipe" Well I had to buy it. Sanded it, put some new stain on. Sent it off to Walker for new stem and a band, did'nt have a crack, but there was a line in same spot as yours that looked like it may give me trouble. Mike did a great job, and now is one I love.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've got a weird one very similar to that on the shank of one of my Grabow Savoys. It doesn't follow the grain pattern, just like yours. I suspect it's more of a surface fissure than a true crack through the grain. I worried about it for a bit, but now the pipe is several years old, gets smoked hard, and it hasn't given any problem at all.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
If you're bothered by the fissure/crack/flaw get it banded, or have some pins set in place. Doesn't look too bad from one little picture on a screen but might appear worse in person, keep and eye on it and try not to drop the pipe much.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I guess I wonder if a band would reinforce a circumferential crack? I hadn't though of getting it pinned. I really do like this pipe, a great and unusual shape.
Doc

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Small pins, brass or ss, or thin gauge wire cut to size and the ends cleaned up. Drill holes just larger than the pin at an angle on opposite sides of the fissure and don't make them parallel, trying to make a permanent "zipper", 2 or 3 would be fine for this one. Glue and set the pins, since this isn't cracked and doesn't need any pressure to seal the crack there's no need to clamp it, just let it dry then come back and trim what's sticking out and clean up the rest of the mess. Look something like this //, except the only visible portion is the entry hole/pin head, don't drill all the way through the shank either.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Interesting.
You've actually done this? (meaning, on a briar pipe's mortise wall) Or are you speculating?

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
The walls on the shank is the part I don't know about, depends how thick they are. There's one here with a cracked shank waiting on repair, it's rusticated and I don't want it banded, it's a personal pipe so it'll be a minute till I get to it but I'll try and take pictures along the way to better demonstrate.
I don't shoot but this is most commonly used for cracked stocks as a repair but here's a link to a kit with carbon fiber pins for woodwind instruments to give you an idea.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
George. I think this is what he is trying to talk about. It links to another guys site who writes stuff for Reborn Pipes.
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/03/08/a-crack-pinning-tutorial/
I kinda feel dumb for pointing this out . I just assumed you have probably seen the Reborn Pipes site before.

So, for the other people, here is a pinning primer.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George. I think this is what he is trying to talk about. It links to another guys site who writes stuff for Reborn Pipes.
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/03/08/a-crack-pinning-tutorial/
I kinda feel dumb for pointing this out . I just assumed you have probably seen the Reborn Pipes site before.
You assumed right... I'm familiar with both the process and Steve's site. The reason I pressed for details was because I've not yet seen an example of a pinned crack that lasted very long on a pipe. It can be used on decorative wooden objects & antiques to good effect, but when there is dramatic heat and humidity cycling, not so much. And adding constant outward pressure to the mix would only make things worse, I imagine.
STAKED (mushroom-ended) pins would probably work, but accomplishing that obliquely on a curved surface would be impossible for all practical purposes. But super glue---or any glue---on straight-ended metal pins? That would only hold them in place in a positional sense. Any significant load at all would cause axial slippage, and the crack would open.
DrBob ---
Wet the inside of the mortise with a Q-tip or pipe cleaner dipped in water, blow on it for a few seconds, and then look inside with a bright penlight and magnification for a dark line where you figure the crack would come through if it ever did. If you see one, band the shank. If you don't, you can hold off until you do. (It's almost certain to spread sooner or later.)

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
You got me, man, I don't have any long term experience with pin repaired pipes so can't speak to what effect it will hold over time. Possibly longer than the pipe without any repair. Of course a band provides more insurance than a few pins and glue but maybe they don't want one, anything that prolongs the use and enjoyment of ones pipe I'm all for. It's totally subjective.
Check the inside as suggested for any signs that it goes through, no way to know for certain if it will or won't give you issue unless you wait for it. I have a pipe that is pitted through the shank and mortise to where I could blow bubbles out them when I got it, smoking it seems to have sealed them and it hasn't needed a band yet.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Okay, so can I get some details?

"The reason I pressed for details was because I've not yet seen an example of a pinned crack that lasted very long on a pipe."

No personal experience long term with pinned repairs here, you're the expert, could you tell me some of these examples and what the issues were? Please elaborate? Also, man, why press me when you know full well and more than what I'm saying? Really just want information, I plan on pinning the shank on one of my pipes and intend to keep it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.