PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
The other night I fired up a bowl of Autumn Evening, which I bought for the room note, while the wife and I were watching tv. Now, I walked into the room a few minutes (on another occasion) shortly after my son had started a bowl so I know it smells really good. Anyway, after maybe three minutes the wife starts complaining about how bad the AE stinks! I said "Look, I bought this because I know it smells good; I have read, been told and smelled it myself so I know it does!" She disagreed, to say the least. I ended up letting the pipe go out and finishing it after she went to bed.
Tonight I fire up a bowl of Nightcap, thinking I ought to get a "that other stuff wasn't so bad" type of comment. But that's not what happened: She said nothing! No comparison, no complaining. I know my daughter likes the smell of Nightcap so maybe my wife does too! Oh, this could lead to very good (or very bad) things. I might try some VaPer tomorrow night and see how that goes.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Haha that is odd! Last time I smoked a big bowl of Marlin Flake I got in the car with my wife and her friend and they said I smelled like burning gravel covered in shit lol I hope your VAPer experience goes over better than mine!

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
My wife wrinkles her nose at many aromatics but doesn't complain about latakia blends, Va's, etc.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mrs. Cortez, aka Shoe Lady, has never complimented anything I have ever smoked. Since I've been dabbling in aromatics over the past few years, I'm certain there is something that she probably has liked -- but she won't admit to it.
Today I was smoking PS/Luxury Twist Flake in my car. When I left the car and returned to it an hour later I was greeted by a marvelous old-timey pipe tobacco goodness sweet & musty odor hanging in the air. Wonderful experience!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My mom did a somewhat similar thing a few days ago. Some how I mentioned that I wanted to go to the Columbus Pipe Show(Living in Michigan, it isn't too far away), and she said "Why don't you try to get a job in the industry? You seem to really have a passion for pipes and tobacco". Now I have been smoking for almost three years(about a year and a half with the pipe), and through out the whole time she has repeatedly told me she didn't like me smoking. So that statement struck me as a bit odd. She did a total 180 out of nowhere, just like your wife.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My wife doesn't think anything I smoke smells good so I just smoke what I want. She did say Autumn Evening doesn't smell as bad as the others but she still thinks it stinks.

She grew up with non-smokers (I did too for that matter) so her reactions are understandable. She doesn't nag at me and I am considerate enough to only smoke outdoors or in my man cave. I also take a shower before coming to bed which she appreciates. 8O

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
My wife hates Latakia! However, she loves Captain Bob's Blend. She doesn't know that CBB contains 1/16th Latakia! So, apparently, while I taste the Latakia in my blend, it is masked for the non-smoker by the aromatic element. Now, this must remain a secret!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is very interesting. Does or did your wives enjoy camping at one time? The taste of Latakia reminds me of a campfire. Not sure about the "true" room note as I don't know of anyone that smokes indoors on a regular basis.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
gwtwdbss,
Yea, Latakia is a smoky camp fire to be sure. But, I use it like I use pepper on eggs. Just enough to know it is there. That is my personal preference. I can tolerate much heavier Latakia blends and enjoy them. Unfortunately, those around me do not tolerate it as well as I do. So, "pepper on eggs" works for me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
My wife is a cigarette smoker so I don't think she really has any room to complain (but that doesn't stop her lol). I only smoke inside when the weather is too cold or windy to be out (or when she's gone). Personally I don't think cigarette smoke is anything like pipe smoke (of any blend): nails smell and cling very badly.
She has never complimented any blend; my daughter has mentioned liking a few. I told the wife if she'd just admit when something is pleasant, tolerable, enjoyable, not just what "stinks" I could make sure I only smoked things that she found pleasant or At least tolerable. But she won't admit to any smelling anything other than bad. Funny thing, her dad smoked an old cherry blend, Middleton I suspect, and she liked that, then. I even tried out a few cherry blends for her sake with no success.
She doesn't mind the smell of a campfire too much so you may be onto something there Bob. And I hope my VaPer try goes better than your's did, too, Jameson. BTW, if your wife sti hates that Marlin Flake I'll dutifully take it off your hands. You know, to help a brother out and all! :lol:

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
It was actually a sample from Chris so it's been smoked thoroughly, probably my second favorite VaPer behind Escudo.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Uberam3rica wrote:
Now I have been smoking for almost three years(about a year and a half with the pipe), and through out the whole time she has repeatedly told me she didn't like me smoking. So that statement struck me as a bit odd. She did a total 180 out of nowhere,
That's because she's your mom! :) I grew up in a non-smoking family (apart from a grandfather who smoked cigars and a great-grandfather that smoked a pipe), and my mother used to talk to me now and then about my pipe smoking, which I'd taken up after I went to college and moved into my own place. I explained why I enjoyed it, but she was against it.
The next Christmas, what was one of her presents for me? A three-pipe stand! She just shrugged, like it was no big deal. It was a big deal to me.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Greg:
Nightcap: She said nothing! No comparison, no complaining. I know my daughter likes the smell of Nightcap so maybe my wife does too!
If your wife smokes cigs, she may not even noticed the nightcap smell since to me they are somewhat similar.
As for aros, my wife doesn't like any of them - but she does prefer them over English blends. So for a nic kick, I've been tossing in a little 1792 flake with my aros and she's had no complaints (unless I overdo the 1792 flake)
Uberam3rica:
It's just weird that she all of a sudden is ok with it.
I think in general it can take people a while to come to terms with anything new. My guess is, she sees this as something that's moved beyond the fad stage and so she's made her peace with it. That's a big step for anyone, let alone a parent.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Make an investment in Boswell's Berry Cobbler. That stuff is good enough to eat.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Mrs. Cortez, aka Shoe Lady, has never complimented anything I have ever smoked. Since I've been dabbling in aromatics over the past few years, I'm certain there is something that she probably has liked -- but she won't admit to it.

exact same thing from my wife cortez. she could love it but wouldn't admit it I am sure

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
All I can say is thank God my wife indulges in the stink weed with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.