PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I can't quite get a photo of this, so I'll just try to describe it. I'm refurbishing a 1980s B-C Origine No 2 with goose bone extension and it has the most unusual drilling I've ever seen in a commercial pipe. I've reamed it all the way to the bottom of the bowl using my very nice Iwan Ries cutters and It appears that unlike most bent pipes, the draft hole is drilled exactly parallel with the shank, leaving it quite low in the sole of the bowl. In fact, it end the level of the bottom of the bowl, so a hole is drilled at the edge of the bottom of the bowl which intersects with the shank's draft hole below. Of course, this creates a fairly tight bend in the draft and isn't ideal. It seems like a prescription for a gurgling pipe.
Can anyone confirm that this was typical of at least some of these Origine pipes?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I see an error in my original post that I need to correct:
The draft hole from the shank ends BELOW the level of the bottom of the bowl, so a hole is drilled at the edge of the bottom of the bowl which intersects with the shank's draft hole below.6
Here's a drawing of it:
Butz%20Choquin%20Origine%20drilling-L.jpg

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Can anyone confirm that this was typical of at least some of these Origine pipes?
They're based on an original model from 1858? and being accurate representations are drilled as such. Nice pipes, congrats, got a picture?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting that that was ever the preferred design of the airway, but it makes sense. St. Claude and the whole French pipe industry is proud and fussy and wouldn't indulge in makeshift or slapdash craft. To their credit, it seems that design is long abandoned. Dollar for dollar, or franc for franc, French pipes are well beyond their price points in quality, it seems to me.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It was pretty tarred up and still needs further cleaning, so I don't yet know how well it will smoke. I usually take a filthy estate as a positive sign of a well loved and well used pipe. This one could be an outlier due to the design issues. We'll see.
What I found very interesting was the degree to which the tars penetrated the goose bone extension. There were tar bumps all over the exterior, giving it a pebbled texture. A short soak in alcohol and a rubdown removed those exterior deposits and left behind a lovely shiny, dark, marble-like finish. Like some meerschaums, it's actually improved the appearance. Incidentally, the seller completely (probably innocently) misrepresented the pipe as an antique albatross and mother of pearl stemmed pipe. Thankfully, I strongly suspected a much newer pipe based on the mouthpiece, which looked to be acrylic, instead of mother of pearl, so my bid was appropriately low. This pipe is from the 1980s.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I had one in the 75's, the tube was bone (but more albatross) the beak was syntetic imitation amber.

Subsequently I think the pipe is plastic ...
The piercing in principle does not make an elbow, it is straight towards the bottom of the pipe, but sometimes there is a shorter and bigger one that goes down, forming a Y.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've read somewhere that Butz Choquin stopped using albatross bone very many years ago. When these pipes were reintroduced they used an acrylic type material for the long shank.
I have an 1894 cased albatross boned reading pipe and the shank/stem is three sided with very fine striations running along the length. Under the microscope one can clearly see it is genuine bone.
I've also read somewhere genuine albatross bone goes for $150-$200 per inch!
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being an old fleet sailor, I would never have a pipe or anything else with albatross parts, which is supposed to be bad medicine for going to sea. Also, I was on Midway Island and watched the albatross nest and hatch their young, and developed a respect for these not-gooney-birds. The Lords and Ladies of the sky above the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.