PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I thought I'd try some 1792 Flake and ordered a 50g tin recently. I opened it and it looked like 3 inch long strips of dark brown wood someone whittled out. What sort of cut is that? I haven't had the courage to try it yet as it smells like burned wood...and strong to boot.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
That's what a Samuel Gawith flake looks like! Either fold & stuff or roll & stuff will work well for that flake, just make sure you have eaten a good meal before. It's knocked my socks off more than once...
-Jason

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I can take nicotine pretty good and it smells like that may be a blessing...may be on par with Haddo's Delight. I'm wondering if maybe rolling it between your palms and shredding it like a ribbon cut would make it pack better.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I take it you have never encountered what is known as flake tobacco? The tobacco is combined and then pressed into a brick to make what is called a plug. The plug is then sliced into strips called flakes. You can smoke it in whatever way you can get it into your pipe. Roll it up and stuff it in your pipe, or partly rub it out into coarse chunks, or rub it all the way out to make it sort of resemble shag or ribbon cut. I sometimes cut the flakes length wise and width wise to produce smaller flakes or cubes and gravity feed the pipe. There are a bunch of videos and posts here on the subject.
And yeah you are right, 1792 is seriously strong. Haddos is strong, but 1792 is friggin' potent! Puff slow and be prepared to put the pipe down now and then. I love the stuff but have to smoke small bowls or half bowls due to its nicotine strength.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Whatever method you choose to use, do not pack it to tight (which was my mistake for a few bowls) or its a hard to keep lit. Loose it burns really well.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I'm wondering if maybe rolling it between your palms and shredding it like a ribbon cut would make it pack better.

This is how I prep my flakes

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, it is good stuff. Either method mentioned above works well. I Usually rub it out to small pieces or shred it. Gravity fed into the pipe works very well.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The key is to let it dry a bit and, yes, pack it loose. You also may want to dedicate a pipe to it. I love the stuff and it does pack a wallop. Enjoy.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
This is the first time I've seen tobacco in this form so yes, it did look rather odd. A bit damp but let sit out for a while after "shredding" it does good. It's still morning so I haven't smoked it as yet but aim to try later on. It couldn't be any stronger than a Camel or Lucky Strike.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Hard to say at this point. I've tried so many but my palate seems to run the gamut between C&D's Autumn Evening, 965, and Hafling's Leaf so far. That w.o Larson 2011 you so graciously sent is another good one as is the 7 Seas Royal...very mild. The two I've smoked the most of to date has been Autumn Evening and 965. I think there are as many tobacco choices and probably much more than there are rifle and pistol calibers combined.
Haddo's Delight is taking a piece of my heart also.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
1792 is definitely stronger than a Lucky and I smoked cigarettes for close to 40 years. Do not smoke this on an empty stomach, trust me. For your first time with flake I would break it up with your fingers into smaller chunks and load using the 3 step method. Fold and stuff takes practice and if you fail you might get turned off to the blend.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I made the mistake of trying too many too soon and one of them made me "queezy". Now,I can't recall which but, I'd sure know it next time. I remember all too well when I was about 13 stealing a few Camels from my Dad while he was asleep and tried one on my long walk to the bus stop(about three blocks over the hill, fighting off Indians, etc.) and my head whirled and I thought my lungs were history.

Status
Not open for further replies.