PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Hello all,
I have been a member for a while,but not active lately. I see from looking on the site that there are a few pipe men like myself who love Condor. I was wondering what Tobacconist you favor in the UK for obtaining this special Tobacco. The last I ordered came from etobaccos, and they now appear to be unavailable. I live in the US. Any help with this special request would be much appreciated. All the best!
Eric

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
At first glance Pipedivan seems cheaper than Mr Snuff but he sells Condor in 25g pouches whereas Mr Snuff sells his in 50g. Can be a little confusing for us Americans that don't deal in Euros all the time.
I've bought from Mr Snuff and was pleased with the transaction.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
@jitterbugdude, Thank you very much for the helpful information.
Regards,
Eric

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
@4nogginsmike,
Are you in the UK? I checked Peterson's website, but didn't think they would ship to the states. Do you know if Pipe Divan's price per pouch includes shipping? I am waiting on 10 25gm packages of Condor RR from JJ Fox at the present time. I have read on the forums where you are a frequent smoker of Condor and would appreciate any recommendations as to what you think is the best way to buy as far as getting the best deal. Thanks for all your help.
Regards,

Eric

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi Mr. the Falcon,
I live in the US.
The cheapest alternative is the Pipe Divan; well, maybe not, but in scanning 4 or 5 pages of Google output I didn't find a better detail. At today's rate they sell 25g bars of Condor Plug for about two dollars cheaper than Peterson and about a dollar cheaper than James Fox. However, depending on how much you want, the PD has set limits, 5 X 25g a few weeks ago, 39 X 25g about 10 days ago. Both the PD and JF will exclude VAT while Peterson won't. The PD and I believe JF will give you free shipping for about a $150.00 purchase.
Gallaher only makes 25g bars of plug. Were you referring to the Longcut, which can be bought in 50g pouches? 50g Condor and its relatives such as Warrior Plug don't give you financial relief by purchasing 50 rather than 25g.
Mike

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
That's great info Mike, thanks for sharing!
How's the shipping time from them, about average for an overseas package?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've bought twice, both a Sunday night, and got one package on Thursday and the other Friday. These tobacconists use Anpost to get their merchandise to the US. They give you a tracking number, and both packages were in the hands of US customs within 24 hours from the ship date, which was Monday in both cases. As you know clearing customs is always the hurdle.
Also of note is that Pipe Divan plainly labeled the package "pipe tobacco," whereas Peterson wrote nothing. It's still legal to buy tobacco from abroad, but as you know there are all manner of restriction in place, both in the US and overseas. My policy therefore is to get as much as I can afford while the getting is good before Congress declares that importing tobacco from abroad is illegal or North Carolina declares tobacco cannot be shipped to anyone within its borders. Washington state has this restriction.
All I want in the cellar is 50 lbs, which would only set me back $10K:).

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I have an order (11 Condor Plugs) inbound from Pipe Divan. I like the fact they list their shipping rates. I know I can order up to 500g before the next higher rate kicks in. With Mr Snuff I could only buy 5 pouches at a time. When I tried to buy more it kicked me up to an extremely high shipping rate.
Next order from Pipe Divan will probably be some Mick McQuid Plug.
4N-Mike, I'm with you on the ordering thing. Not sure when it'll happen but I can see the day when it will be illegal to import tobacco from overseas.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
You can't buy Condor any cheaper in the UK than in the US because the VAT and the shipping even each other out. If wholesalers could import Condor, McQuaid, etc, it would be a lot cheaper because UK tobacco taxes are astronomical.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Please do enlighten a novice pipesmoker. What makes this condor blend such a must-have?

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
IMHO, it is not a must have. It is a British OTC with a Lakeland essence and a good nic hit, but like any other tobacco, it is someone's favourite. If I could choose one UK tobacco to add the US mix, it would be Ogden's Walnut Flake or Revor Plug, not Condor. In fact, I like St Bruno better than Condor. @Condorlover will probably stone me for blasphemy.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To me Condor is very complex, spicy, smoky/acrid/sour and dark, and I doubt I would like it nearly so much without the potency and what I think read is the Lakeland essence labelled "Rose Geranium." (GH applies it to Dark Plug, unavailable in the US). Greg Pease told me it's anyone's guess what is actually in the barrels of essence SG/GH apply to their tobaccos; it's so proprietary even the managers don't know the recipes. To me Grousemoor's scent is probably the most complex of all. I don't know why I suddenly went crackers for Condor's scent, but I did, and that more exotic tobacco awakening was happily recognized by Klause who bombed with 25g each of the RR, Longcut and Plug. I was stuck on the cost. I prefer to pay about $60/lb bulk and view $10 as expensive; Condor is twice that. But it costs me about $1/smoke as I smoke this ghosting tobacco in cobs and probably use ~2g/bowl. So I can live with $365/year to smoke it.
I would call Condor's scenting moderate compared to heavily hit/scented blends like Boson Cut Plug and Ennerdale, which, in smoking taste to me more of scent than the tobacco, although surely their base tobacco taste presents as well.
I've always loved flake tobacco and pursued the majesty of the slow-burn to my final destination of frustration as I couldn't get more flake intact preparations to burn; and although I feel it is sacrilege, fully rub out flake today. Even so these flake bits burn more slowly, so my dream of flake-intact smoking is not totally extinguished. But I've discovered plug in the last 18 months, and for some reason, perhaps because I feel that I participate in the oldest traditions of pipe smoking, I love its preparation. Most plugs have the tobacco intermixed, so it doesn't matter what part is disassembled for the smoke. But Pease JackKnife plug features the VA sandwiched between the Dark Fired, so it matter that you cut off slices from top to bottom. But with Condor, and certainly all Krumble Kake, as it is pressed cut tobacco, it doesn't matter, which frees me to peel the plug in successive layers. I know it's strange but I must say that I find this satisfying.
I peppered Greg Pease with about a half-dozen email a month or so back, doing my best to persuade him to make a scented English Plug, and in that persuasion I'm quite sure I mentioned that it would please me if it was quite like Condor. He didn't tell me to dry up so I welled with my fascination for this tobacco form. But the inability to get the English scents dominated the exchange.
(4nogginsmike Condor mind-dump 04/19/15)

Mar 1, 2014
Finally I have some Condor inbound, and Pipe Divan has much better prices on Brebbia pipes than Smokingpipes. Combine that with free shipping and I'm a happy camper right now.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Finally I have some Condor inbound, and Pipe Divan has much better prices on Brebbia pipes than Smokingpipes. Combine that with free shipping and I'm a happy camper right now.
I hope you enjoy the Condor, if not I know a few people that would be glad to take it off your hands!
Cheers,--Eric :)

Status
Not open for further replies.