Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
What is the status of Haunted's stem oil? I see Chicago show attendees have the bottles, so are these available retail yet?
I'm looking forward to trying his product.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Thanks! I'm holding the money in my sweaty paw, waiting to send it to him and launch him into a new tax bracket.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
My vial of Obsidian Oil arrived today - fast service. I've been using bit polish on these Vulcanite

bits... Does this require that I strip the polish off before using this product and will it work on

Ebonite as well?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Hi Fred, You shouldn't have to strip the polish off. I never do anyways. It should work for any rubber based stem - vulcanite, ebonite, cumberlands of all colors.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
I have been using Haunted's product for about a week now.... WORKS GREAT!!!!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks. Last night I used the oil on a 32 year old Vulcanite bit. After waiting 30 minutes, I hand

buffed it out. It looked OK, but this morning it really turned out to have worked well. The overnight

change in results is likely related to the age of this bit, which is part of an estate African Block Meerschaum

from the Millennium of Tynwald, on the isle of Man. When I acquired the Pipe, the bit had been neglected

for a long time, so the results of a buffing wheel, Magic Erasure and bit polish had taken it about as

close to new as could be expected, but this oil really made the difference.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Cool! I'm really glad to hear that sense I hadn't developed it as a restorer, but as a preventative. You are the 3rd person to tell me it helped bring back an old stem. One of the cool things you'll find with it is that with use over time, you'll come in from a smoke and for whatever reason your tastes were particularly acidic and you'll notice some oxidation. Just use the oil and 20 minutes later its gone!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
@bonvivant, so DON'T wait, order some(before it's all gone) I got mine in the mail today,-- quick shipping, thanks

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Hauntedmyst writes: One of the cool things you'll find with it is that with use over time, you'll come in from a smoke and for whatever reason your tastes were particularly acidic and you'll notice some oxidation. Just use the oil and 20 minutes later its gone!
OK. Some of oxidation that influences the taste of a blend will occur in the Vulcanite bit's draft.

I've been using Everclear to keep this to a minimum. Have you tried using the Obsidian Oil on the

bit's draft as well as the exterior?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Schmidtz,
Go to the site and order one and I'll ship it for that price. USPS says it will normally be $3 so I'll make a Canadian link for other buyers.
Fred,
I haven't but that is an interesting thought! I suppose you could dip a fluffy pipe cleaner in there and coat the inside and then use another few to wipe it out. I'll give it a try and report back! Thanks!

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
LOL I sit and watch for the mail man every day, Can't wait to try it, it seems from the reports of you users, this is A great product

Status
Not open for further replies.