PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I feel like I'm pretty good about keeping my pipes 'functionally' clean, but when it comes to cosmetic maintenance I get a little lazy. One of my vulcanite stems had started to become pretty oxidized so I purchased some obsidian oil and Brebbia stem polish. Upon receiving said products I went straight to throwing them in a drawer lol. Yesterday after a 151 mishap, I decided it was time to give them a go.

The polish seemed to do its job, this was my first attempt at ever polishing one of my stems, but I wasn't overly impressed. In hindsight, I should have probably taken a post-polish/pre-oil pic. I only used paper towels and worked it for a couple minutes (lazy, I know).

The oil also seemed to work well, and is also supposed to prevent future oxidation, but having only applied this product yesterday, we will see. Applied it with my fingers, let it sit for about a half hour, and again worked it with a paper towel.

I'd buy them both again.

image26-600x450.jpg

image27-600x450.jpg

image28-600x450.jpg

image29-600x450.jpg

image30-600x450.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
A little more elbow grease with the Brebbia will give it the kind of gloss you're looking for. I use a baby's wash rag (very thin and pliable) rather than a paper towel and I suspect that works better. I imagine a piece of an old t-shirt would work pretty well, too.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I now only currently have two pipes that have vulcanite stems and although I have a bottle of obsidian oil I no longer use it.

Just get yourself a stick of ChapStick original (very cheap). It contains an anti-oxidant and works like a charm. Just place a few dabs on the stem, rub on and your all set as it will protect the stem from oxidizing.
For cleaning a vulcanite stem that is oxidized I simply use a cloth or paper towel, soak it in water and dab it in Baking Soda and start rubbing away. Depending on how badly oxidized it is it make take a bit of elbow grease, but it does the job. Of course you'll then have to polish the stem as it will leave it a tad dull, but that's to be expected from a badly oxidized stem after a cleaning.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I guess I need to keep a database of what my pipes are made of.

Can you tell be looking whether the stem is acrylic or vulcanite?

Do both type fade or oxidize?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
For Curl - Take your thumb and rub it up and down the stem in one spot really fast for about 10 seconds and then take a whiff. If you smell rubber, its a vulcanite stem. If you don't smell anything other than whatever you've been putting your thumb into, then its acrylic.
Vulcanite and Cumberland stems will dull and/or oxidize (although it takes Cumberland a lot longer to do this). I've seen a lot of acrylic bits that have come through my shop that had stained over time due to the chemical makeup of the smoker, but they won't oxidize or dull.
Pipestud

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If you want the bright, mirror shine you're going to need to do more than just put some Obsidian on it. I use white diamond (or use fine grit micro mesh pads), then buff with a soft cloth until it shines. I use Obsidian for in between stem maintenance.

mrdenmark

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
I think the result looks pretty good, I bought some Savinelli stem polish earlier today. I tried it on a couple of stems, and it seamed to work, but I guess the Obsidian oil helps with the final finish. Your stem definitely looks better than mine. I guess I have to get the oil. I didn't take pictures of my stems. Now I regret not doing it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I use the stem polish and obsidian routine, but polish with a soft cloth and finish with a silicon cloth. My stems come up really well. I also use obsidian as a preventative on pipes after I've used them for the day. Bit of a pain, but worth the effort.
Andy

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It is my personal opinion that Obsidian Oil is a big con. It is just mineral oil but by another name. I use baby oil which is exactly the same product (albeit with a little scent) which does the same job admirably and is a damned site cheaper.
I apply it with a Qtip (a finger will do) and leave for 10 minutes or so then rub off with a clean rag. I challenge anyone to tell the difference twixt a stem treated with Obsidian Oil and one treated with baby oil!
Just my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I challenge anyone to tell the difference twixt a stem treated with Obsidian Oil and one treated with baby oil!
Where I see where you are going with this. Did you not answer your own challenge earlier?
I use baby oil which is exactly the same product (albeit with a little scent)
It would be the pipe stem with a slight scent that used baby oil.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Baby oil will leave a definite scent and flavor on a pipe, Obidisian does not. If it were the same they would smell and taste the same which they don't. There goes your theory.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The scent soon dissipates thereby leaving just plain old mineral oil. As for taste, there is none.
By all means buy Obsidian Oil if it makes you feel better, but matey who dreamed up the idea will be laughing his head off as he drives his Ferrari off into the sunset :nana:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Try it my friend, seriously, you will be surprised!
I was just reading an old thread on Obsidian Oil and came across...
I've been using Obsidian Oil for a couple of years and I have noticed a taste on the stems. Truth be told I don't think it's that great of a product.
...and...
I did a cursory wipe off but I could tell which ones had the oil on it when it hit my mouth. The oil numbed up my tastebuds for a couple hours after contact. Couldn't taste anything
Regards,
Jay.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I use food grade/pharmaceutical grade mineral oil from pharmacy/Walmart. No scent. Also, works well on carbon steel knives that come in contact with food. Baby Oil blows, comparatively.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A freshly diapered baby is so damned cute, I don't care. But do I want my pipes to smell like a freshly diapered baby? Maybe not so much.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jack, do you have a brand name for the product you use? I might look out for it if it's available in the UK.
MSO, really, the smell disappears in no time at all so no baby's bum smell, fresh nappy or no :D
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Straight mineral oil, which I had on hand for a butcher block, is just fine.
If using baby oil, you need to dust it with talc as the final step.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
As noted a lot of it is used for butcher blocks. I got mine from the pharmacy section. It is used as a laxative, but I have never ingested it other than incidentally from a pipe, knife or butcher block. Here is a link from Amazon. I would check out the pharmacy section at a "Brick and Mortar" store first, in the "laxative" area. Fairly common product. I like it for my carbon steel knives.
$7.26

Sold by: Our Pampered Home

Add to Cart

$12.36

+ Free Shipping

Sold by: BigKitchen

8 new from $7.26

J.K. Adams 8-Ounce Mineral Oil Wood Conditioner

Roll over image to zoom in
J.K. Adams 8-Ounce Mineral Oil Wood Conditioner

by J.K. Adams

4.7 out of 5 stars 55 customer reviews | 7 answered questions

List Price: $24.99

Price: $7.26 Free Shipping for Prime Members

You Save: $17.73 (71%)

In Stock.

Want it Tuesday, April 26? Order within 46 hrs 49 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Clear, odorless and tasteless. Instantly revitalizes wood kitchen products. FDA approved, safe for food

Handcrafted and finished in Vermont, U.S.A.

Hand wash with warm soapy water and dry promptly

Manufacturer's 5-year warranty

Manufacturer's lifetime warranty

http://www.amazon.com/J-K-Adams-8-Ounce-Mineral-Conditioner/dp/B000H7AFVA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1461453792&sr=8-9&keywords=food+quality+mineral+oil

Status
Not open for further replies.