PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I got a bottle of Obsidian Oil to treat some dull looking stems. It works very well, but now I am hesitant to put them in my mouth because I don't know what the oil is made of. If it is a mineral oil it MIGHT be safe, but many minerals are carcinogenic, such as cadmium, zinc, cobalt & lead. Is anyone knowledgeable about this?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I don't recall exactly what it is, and I've been unlucky finding anything which describes what type of oil it is.
Here's my google search:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=hauntedmyst+obsidian+stem+oil+site:pipesmagazine.com/forums&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Hope this helps.
-Jason

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I love the stuff. I have had no issues that I am aware of. It sure does make a stem look pretty. Since it is a stem oil I would have to assume it is food grade.

Aug 14, 2012
Puffy: A good many folks are using stuff that kills them. My cousin just died of pancreatic cancer which might have been caused by clove tobacco. Another example: Kraft markets macaroni & cheese in the USA with a food coloring in the cheese which is prohibited in Europe because it is carcinogenic. They don't give a fart! Americans are more likely to buy it if it is yellow. We are living in an immoral society where the rich take advantage of the average people in many ways, and have no respect at all for human or other forms of life.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Best bet is to email hauntedmyst at:
info@obsidianpipe.com
While I'm sure he won't give you exact ingredients, he'll be able to tell you if it's food-grade and whatnot.
-Jason

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never tasted anything from using Obidisian and I am not worried it is lethal. I am sure the company would be happy to answer your questions. Hell I don't care if it is loaded with radiation as long as it keeps my stems looking as good as they do I will use it. lol

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Foggy I did the company info thing for you and asked for an MSDS sheet, by law they have to have one, I explained that a lot of pipe smokers use his products and were curious as to his ingredients, if they were safe etc, etc, if they don"t supply one then I would be worried.

Jul 15, 2011
This is pulled directly from the Obsidian Oil product description on P&C:
Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil isn’t a wax or a cleaner. Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil is specifically designed as a preventative to help keep your vulcanite, ebonite or Cumberland stems from oxidizing and help keep them looking newer for longer. In addition to conditioning and sealing the pores of the vulcanite, thus resulting in much less oxidation, Obsidian also contains small amounts of organic quality UVA/UVB protection. Unlike Olive oil, which some people use (and which will go rancid), it has no taste and is specifically designed for use with the rubber your pipe stem is made from! The product is a mix synthetic food grade oil, organic grade UVA/UVB inhibitors and some essential oils good for the skin on the lips!
I think I remember reading on here long ago and far away that everything in Obsidian Oil is food grade. FWIW, I've used Obsidian on almost 30 restored pipes and have not had an issue yet.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
The following quote was posted on another blog by username: Obsidian
It being safe is a primary concern. I'm a pipe smoker myself so during development, everything had to be safe. Obsidian is a mix of oils safe for contact. The UVA/UVB inhibitors are organic grade. It doesn't impart any taste and with over 1000 sold, no one has replied otherwise!

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Seeing as you're smoking tobacco, I probably wouldn't be very worried about whats in the oil. Though the extra virgin olive oil sounds like a good idea.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I've used olive oil for cooking for over sixty years and never have I seen it go rancid. I leave a bottle on the counter next to the stove, and fill it about once a month from a large can in the cupboard. Why pay a high price for a gimmick when a penny's worth of olive oil will do.

Aug 14, 2012
Well you guys have me convinced that it MIGHT be safe to smoke an obsidian treated pipestem, I will try olive oil instead. I keep a large stock of virgin Greek olive oil for cooking my near-Mediterranean diet food. I have never had it go rancid either, and some of the bottles are quite old.

Status
Not open for further replies.