PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
So, after my first three months of smoking a pipe, I've come to some conclusions. First, I really like codger blends. After trying several aromatics, some Virginia, and even some Perique, i realize my favorites are the classics, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, and even Half & Half. They just seem to smoke the best for me, easy to light, keep lit, and the least amount of bite. Also, my other realization, is that I really dig corn cobs. I have a decent LJ Peretti briar, but I find myself going back to the cobs. They burn great, keep cool, and give me the driest smoke so far. I can't get through a bowl with my briar without it gurgling at some point, but almost never my cob. I just got in a country gentlemen from P&C, I can't wait to try it out on my next smoke. What a robust pipe, I wasn't expecting it to be so big, but I love it!
Thanks to everyone here, you've all been a great source of information for this newbie!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I like my cobs as well but I do change out the bits before I use them the first time. The MM Country Gentleman is my overall favorite and I keep several on hand. I also like the big Freehand and it is actually the best smoker with it's chimney effect; haven't tried the General but would expect it to be similar. My other favorite is the Great Dane Egg; never tried the Spool. I usually don't smoke cobs smaller than the Egg but I did buy 3 Morgan's when CVS had them priced at 75% off but haven't done anything with them yet.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
With several briars and enough different tobaccos to choke an elephant ... I still love CH in a cob.
Looks like you're discovering early on what takes some many years to come back around to.
You are going to LOVE that Country Gent and some CH is perfect to break it in ... congrats!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
There is something to be said about smoking the old "classic" OTC blends in a cob. Lately I've been enjoying smoking Half & Half in my Old Dominion cobs but I've also enjoyed CH, SWR, and PA in them as well. Another great classic burley blend that I've found that smokes well in a cob is Sutliff Tobacco Company's Heine's Blend. I tried a sample of this blend for the first time at the TAPS Pipe Expo in Raleigh back in April and afterwards bought a 14 oz. container.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a reason codger blends have been around for more than a century, and cobs too.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My mower runs on Carter Hall.
:rofl: You've been on a roll today Cosmic!
To each his own, whether it is taste that drives one or finances.
Looks like it's driving just a few folks and at a cost equal to or greater than many other blends:
316 Reviews with a 3.0 star rating:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1092/john-middleton-inc-carter-hall
378 Reviews with a 3.0 star rating

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1207/prince-albert-prince-albert

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
4mos. from one MMLegend and OHM to 14 cobs, about 10 smoking briars, a cherry wood, a meerschaum, and approximately 20 blends...I'm rotating about 12 pipes and have about 20 unsmoked or on hold, (which includes most of a bag 'o seconds and 9 Medico briars)
Codger blends on hand SWR, PA, CH. so far, I've not tasted enough CH to place it but it seems at first to be like a combo of SWR and PA....I like PA a tad bit more at this point.
My biggest tobacco revelation was Latakia for the first time with Newminsters Ultimate English. Once you get past the smell, and the first half bowl...you got something there. So tasty and smooth burning that it's the first time I've ever burned the stem on a cob.
Today I had the scary (somewhat) thought that this is just a passing fancy. That I've spent hundreds of dollars I wouldn't have otherwise spent on something that I'll drop within a few months.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Carter Hall mixes well with 1Q. Cuts the sweetness of the 1Q with pure tobacco goodness. I also have more cobs than briars, and smoke them a lot. Favorite is the Country Gentleman, but I have a Freehand I haven't smoked yet, will have to try it! My General smokes well, and looks cool to me.

Cheap? I keep getting this from Skip at The Briary who refuses to carry if for me as it is too expensive to be carrying that "cheap" tobacco. Actually, all bulks work out to being the cheapest, but most B&M's carry them. I'm not sure what the deal is. And, if it is the additives... they still carry Lane tobaccos, and those are just as laden with additives. I think it's just a stigma.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are enjoying simple burleys, give MacBaren Golden Extra a whirl. Simple, enjoyable flavor, and better quality tobaccos than the codger blends. MacB, C&D, Hearth & Home,and 4 Noggins all do good things with burleys. :puffy:

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
If you are enjoying simple burleys, give MacBaren Golden Extra a whirl. Simple, enjoyable flavor, and better quality tobaccos than the codger blends. MacB, C&D, Hearth & Home,and 4 Noggins all do good things with burleys.
Next time I place an order, I might give it a try, I have MacBaren Virginia No.1 and already like that!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just started with GE this year; I heard it was similar to Burley London, which is being discontinued. I grabbed a tin and liked it well enough to order a pound from JR. I can see it and H&H Beverwyck being the basis of a small burley rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.