PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Just some quick notes on things I have noticed in the last 3 days of smoking pipe.
1) Getting it packed just right is almost impossible, but have achieved what I believe two good bowls.
2) Keeping it lit, throughout the bowl is very tough.
3) I notice the bowl gets hot, quite hot in fact, is this normal?
4) I place a finger over the top of the bowl from time to time, when I feel the ash isn't strong and I can get a better pull of smoke, normal?
5) Just how clean do you have to clean it after use, is a pipe cleaner enough? Or should I be using some sweetener or perhaps some 151 rum?
6) Otter creek is my Favorite so far, pleasant smoke and I like the after taste in mouth and nasal cavity.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
1-2: very common for new pipe smokers. You will prevail and this will get much easier in no time.
3: very common as well, especially for cigar and cigarette guys. I had same problem for awhile- probably for a year. As your cadence develops you'll be able to keep the bowl relatively cool. The key here is sip, don't puff.
4. Yes, normal. And good technique, in lieu of relight. If you're having to do it regularly, however, it may mean you're packing too loose, or need a tamp. How tight you pack will vary with different types and cuts of tobacco.
5. You'll get a lot of different opinions on this. Personally, I clean with two pipe cleaners shortly after smoking. But I only do a deep clean maybe every other month, depending on how often I smoke the pipe in question.
6. Great! I've never tried it but glad you're enjoying it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
1} Some tobaccos are harder than other to pack well. I don't know about Otter Creek, but someone else will.
2} Probably related to number 1, but just remember what you need for fire: Heat, Oxygen and Fuel in balance.
3} Probably puffing too fast. That could also be related to the first and second problem. Stop, relight and slow down.
4) Don't know about that one.
5) I do run a pipe cleaner through after the pipe has cooled a bit. Alcohol is for periodic cleaning.
6) So many tobaccos to try!

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Problem is my lungs want smoke, two days, am down from pack a day to 10 cigs each day, been 40 yrs since that happened. Just now learned to take smoke in from pipe an then get it out nose, WOW, what a flavour rush :P

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
1) Getting it packed just right is almost impossible, but have achieved what I believe two good bowls.

Check out the pipesmagazine youtube channel for some videos on different ways to pack your pipe. It takes a little getting used to.
2) Keeping it lit, throughout the bowl is very tough.

Tell me about it. Still working on perfecting that one myself. Every pipe and tobacco combo will act a little differently. The key is just to keep smoking it and figure out which pipe, packing method, and humidity it likes the best!
3) I notice the bowl gets hot, quite hot in fact, is this normal?

When I first started my bowl got very hot too. Slowing how frequently you puff, and then with the help of some cake buildup, you will see a big drop in the heat. For me personally I think the cake helped the heat a lot.
4) I place a finger over the top of the bowl from time to time, when I feel the ash isn't strong and I can get a better pull of smoke, normal?

Very normal. It's also a nice technique when you feel the smoke is going out. Using this at the right time can bring an ember back to life with a jet of air into the bowl.
5) Just how clean do you have to clean it after use, is a pipe cleaner enough? Or should I be using some sweetener or perhaps some 151 rum?

It can be as dirty or as clean as you want it to be. The general idea is to run a pipe cleaner through the pipe after smoking to absorb moisture (this can be done DURING the smoke if you feel it's too wet as well, very common) and then cleaning with a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol every few smokes. I will do a quick alcoholic pipe cleaner in the stem to sanitize the mouth piece a few minutes before every smoke, and a more thorough clean once a month or so.
6) Otter creek is my Favorite so far, pleasant smoke and I like the after taste in mouth and nasal cavity.

Never heard of it, but glad you found something you like so quickly!
Welcome to the forums. Happy Smoking! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.