PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Hello, I am quite fond of Burley flakes, and some others too.

Namely Aged Burley Flake and Stonehaven.
Seeing the post about WSC- Wessex Slices made me wonder, are there any outstanding flakes out there that are without a proper reason, less known?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Gawith & Hoggarth's Brown Flake Unscented is a great VA-Burley flake. There's a touch of African dark fired in it, too, but just a touch.
They're not exactly obscure, but Cornell and Diehl's Burley Flake series is really good. My favorite is #2.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Not obscure but Petersons Irish Flake and University Flake are great Burley/VA flakes. Also Lux Bullseye Flake. Again not too obscure.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
One of my favorites that doesn't get a lot of hype is McClelland Navy Cavendish, which is one of their Matured Virginia series. I think the name scares people away, but it is a straight Va flake and not a black cavendish blend. It has a touch of rum, but I can't detect it other than as a pleasant sweetness. It's medium in strength and body, and has a sweet, bready, malty taste with just a little tang.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
By obscure I meant stuff that would not usually pop up on your casual tobaccoreviews search.

Status
Not open for further replies.