Oboy... Found a a New Rum, This May Be a Drunk Post....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I went out to buy a new garbage disposal, and over the stove microwave, both of which quit in the last week. Oh yeah, and our wifi router quit too. So with so many problems all in the same week, we drove 80mi. to Home Depot to get a microwave and disposal. We had pretty good success, but we made the mistake of stopping at an upscale liquor store on the way home. I found a new rum that I had never seen before, and needless to say felt I pretty much needed to buy it as I was feeling a little beat up by all the problems we're having.
So this new rum is called Smith and Cross Navy Strength rum from Jamaica. What is Navy Strength Rum? Well it's the minimum alcohol content of 57% as dictated by the Royal Navy of England. Are you starting to get the picture? At 114 proof I'm sitting here smoking some Black Frigate and eating some dried salami with this rum and I've got to tell you it's pretty great stuff. Now I have the hiccups, and think it's time for bed. Did I mention that this rum is really good? Thanks for reading this post.

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Are you just drinking it straight, or have you tried making cocktails with it too? I like Kraken spiced rum for rum and cokes, and I just go with good ol' Bacardi 151 for the fruity cocktails. I'm not big on drinking rum straight.
99 percent of the time, if I'm drinking straight liquor, it's tequila. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds great Orley! Love The Kraken and Orinoco here, will have to give Smith and Cross a try.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Excellent choice!

Love it neat or with just a wee splash of water in a Glen Cairn glass or a small snifter. (Personally, good spirits are not for mixing, but sipping & savoring - like good tobacco)
Pusser's Rum Original Admiralty Blend (Blue Label) is perhaps my favorite, though I'd love to get my hands on Pusser's Rum Overproof (Green Label) - 150 proof

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Haven't heard of that one. I think you've said in the past that you liked Black Seal (a fav of mine.) My bevmo recently got in the 151 proof version and I've been meaning to go back and get one as a novelty. Tried it?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
I always drink good rum like good scotch and bourbon, straight. I realize this might be a mistake with this stuff, but WTH, it's really good stuff irregardless of the proof! This has a great flavor and is said to be like the best rum you could get in the 1600s! I'm amazed that I can still type anymore...

Jan 8, 2013
Rum, Black Frigate, and salami. Now that is a small piece of Heaven if you ask me. I've been infusing some tobacco with Captain Morgan Black today, having a wee bit of it for a drink now. I love the stuff. I find it nice for sipping or as a cocktail. A bit of cola makes it sing, and it's nice with ginger ale too.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Captain Black Mustache:

Oronoco was my favorite Cachaça, but sadly has not been made in years.

I have replaced it with a local sugar cane rum, Silver Rum from Bear Creek Distillery in Denver; they also make a nice Cask Strength Rum @ 120-130 proof.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My favorite sipping rum is Zaya. Definitely worth the price. I love Pusser's but our state stores don't carry it any more. Had a long discussion with them about that.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
+1 on the grog. I make mine with Pusser's and a bit of muscavodo sugar. Pusser's Red, 15 year, is sublime-- neat, of course.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Vaguely familiar ...

6eb160304bba2abb13cb58b5938affb1.jpg

... can't say I know the stuff. But you sold me! :lol:

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
As an aside, the rum of the 1600s was apparently not that good. I've read a couple of books on rum and back then they didn't know much about aging and the rum was mostly clear and horrid. One of it's nicknames was "killdevil". If you're into rum you might want to read these two books (both are fascinating histories): The Sugar Barons by Matthew Parker and Rum: A Social and Sociable History by Ian Williams.

Cheers

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like a slice of heaven there Orley.

I have been discovering the joy of good Rum for the last 18 months or so.
Below are the ones I have so far really enjoyed, usually straight with a couple cubes.

Captain Morgan Private Stock

Havana Club 7 Year Old

Kraken

Sailor Jerry Spiced

Diplimatico Reserva & Grand Reserva

El Dorado 12 Year Old

Flor De Cana Gran Reserva 7
I see that Smith and Cross is available locally so I will try to locate a bottle and become friends with it. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Most likely the magnetron just went. That is what heats the food. Can be replaced by the user usually for about 1/2 to a 1/4 the cost of a new microwave.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
As an aside, the rum of the 1600s was apparently not that good. I've read a couple of books on rum and back then they didn't know much about aging and the rum was mostly clear and horrid. One of it's nicknames was "killdevil". If you're into rum you might want to read these two books (both are fascinating histories): The Sugar Barons by Matthew Parker and Rum: A Social and Sociable History by Ian Williams.

Cheers
Very interesting indeed. Our LCBO (liquor stores in Ontario) carries a brand of Rum called Kill Devil. It ranges in price from $45 a bottle up to $200.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Captain Black Mustache:

Oronoco was my favorite Cachaça, but sadly has not been made in years.

I have replaced it with a local sugar cane rum, Silver Rum from Bear Creek Distillery in Denver; they also make a nice Cask Strength Rum @ 120-130 proof.
Yeah, when I found out Oronoco was being discontinued, I bought ten bottles. Sadly I'm down to the last. Will have to look into the Silver Rum.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Ok, I'm up now and having some coffee, and really don't feel bad at all! (lots of sleep helped)
This is an interesting discussion of rum to be sure. I used to love Zaya, but eventually found it to be too sweet for me. Pusser's is one of my current favorites, but I have to travel a little ways to find. One rum that I tried about 30 years ago is Wray and Nephew White Overproof from Jamaica. My step daughter and her husband brought it back from Jamaica when on their honeymoon. I understand this is quite a common there, and I was skeptical that it would have much flavor it being a white rum. As I remember though it had a very rummy flavor, much better than expected.
Cranse Iron: The comment about 1600s rum was just something I read in a review of this rum. I kind of figured that the real stuff from that time would be pretty rough. Gonna have to find some Kill Devil now though. :mrgreen:
Oh yeah, one more thing... our I got our router working again yesterday but it's pretty old so I'll probably end up replacing it too. Ain't life a grin?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Was given a bottle of Opthimus 15- year old rum for Christmas. Retails for around $50 a bottle if you can find it. A very good sipping rum.

Status
Not open for further replies.