Oboy! Another Mystery Pipe.... Any Ideas?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A few months ago my wife bought a pipe she liked that appeared to have no stampings on it other than a 6, or 9 on the bottom of the shank. She was told by the seller that he'd gotten it with some Connoisseur pipes by Ed Burak of New York. He thought it might be an unstamped pipe by him or maybe by one of his associates. I got to looking at the pipe the other day with a magnifier and noticed what looked to be faint stampings on the side of the shank. I thought the first letter might be a J but later decided that it looked more like the shape of a pipe, much like the shape of the actual pipe it was on. Next letter I thought might be either an H or two I's, and the last letter looked to be a W for sure. I can't find anything that looks like this stamping anywhere I look, so I was hoping someone here might have seen something like it.

Any guesses?
Sorry these are the best I could do with pictures of the stamping.

img_00872-600x450.jpg

img_00892-600x450.jpg

img_00882-600x464.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-estate-pipe-Jack-H-Weinberger-Free-Hand-Excellent-Condition-/251490710455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8e03b3b7

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going with the JHW idea, because of the stamp, vague though it is, and because the style approximates

the photos of JHW pipes. I'm always surprised at how faint some stamping is. Apparently it is difficult to

get stamps just right. One or two of my pipes have partial stamps, and a big bent billiard has nothing but

Italy on the stem; that one was supposed to be an Iwan Ries house pipe, but didn't get the Iwan Ries stamp,

and I don't believe it's a Benton with an Italy stem.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well thanks guys! I guess my mistake was in thinking that it was a pipe and NOT a J that was stamped. I finally found a couple to look at, and the J is styled like a pipe so that didn't help me much. Very interesting links though, and it always nice to learn about pipe history, especially here in the US. Belonging to this site is a wonderful experience, a great group of people with lots of experiences and knowledge. :worship:

So I guess it was worth the $27 she paid for it? :lol:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It is a pipe, or a J styled as a pipe. I've seen many of these listed as HW. I can say, with 100% surety, that the pipe is a JHW. And yes, the history is a great story, where Curt Rollar and Mark Tinsky got their start.

Status
Not open for further replies.