PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I’ve been on island for about a year and will be here for a few more. I was just wondering if anyone knew about any pipe clubs here. I searched the forums and found some old posts that said there were none, but I still figured I’d give it a shot in case one sprung up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Are there even pipe shops on Oahu? I was in Waikiki six months ago, and couldn't find one.
I hope you can order online with no problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hawaii is a distinct place. I don't associate it with pipe smoking at all, but I don't know the inhabited islands that well. Have a friend retired to Kihei. I lived for eight months on the nearly outermost island of the chain, Midway, as far from Honolulu as Omaha from New York, but still of the chain. Beautiful time there in terms of ecology and environment, many sea birds especially Laysan Albatross, but many others. Now it is besieged by plastic ocean refuse, and is, I believe, uninhabited, except by occasional tourists and research groups. When I was there in 1971, it looked pristine and was owned by the birds, sea turtles, seals and sharks, with the Navy off to one end mostly minding its own business and protective of the wildlife. There was one smaller island atoll even further out, with a Coast Guard station at the time, Kuri. Guys there would come to Midway like they were visiting the big city, our post exchange, little enlisted and officer clubs, mini-bowling alley and such. All ghost town now. Wrong! Just checked Wikipedia and found there are 40-60 U.S. Fish and Wildlife and contractors still there, but with no tourism currently funded. Here's the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Atoll

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
There is at least 1 shop that I know of, I actually ran in there today. Not much to offer in the way of tobacco but he said they are waiting on a new shipment. Kind of expensive, but then again everything is here. I don’t know if it’s against Hawaiian law to order tobacco online, I did see a proposal from like 2017 trying to ban all online tobacco purchases. I have been unable to figure out if it passed or not. So I may be relegated to buying 5 oz bags of bulk tobaccos from the local shop for $22.
Tobaccos of Hawaii is located in Waikiki/Honolulu area. It took some digging online to find, so I wouldn’t expect anyone who was just visiting the island would have been able to find it

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Looks like at least Smoking Pipes will send tobacco to Hawaii, but you might be limited to Next Day/Second Day shipping. So, aside from maybe an extra shipping cost, you should be free to order.
$4.40/oz. for bulk is not bad, though. I know every bit of money counts when you're on a budget, but I don't think that's out of line with many B&Ms in the U.S.... Cheaper than what we pay in California, anyway.
Anyway, good luck. If you can't find a pipe club, I bet there's no shortage of great places to enjoy a smoke outside in Hawaii.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I don’t really have a problem paying a little more to keep a B&M store open, but at times it can be frustrating paying more money for less options.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for the support. I’ve recently be assigned to the 25th Infantry as well! Small world

Status
Not open for further replies.