PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The Newest agenda from the Nanny Mayor. Since his ban on sale of large portion sugary drinks was overturned by a judge, Bloomberg decided to pick on the smokers again. The worst of it, at the bottom of the article, he believes he is saving lives.
NYC Mayor - Concealed Tobacco Proposal

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
We already have this in Ontario. It's always about "saving lives", as they continue to collect the taxes off the sales.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
That mayor is an expert politician, russelinf enough feathers and causing enough chaos that no one notices his complete lack of financial plan or any real experience doing anything political. Sad to say many people are more willing to throw baccy under the bus than there surgar, so this will probably happen.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Just an after thought, how are we going to be detoured by the gross pictures and warnings on cigs if we're not allowed to look at them anymore?

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Here in the UK supermarkets have to keep their tobacco products behind closed doors. If asked by a customer to recommend a product they are not allowed to comment. The only change I can see since it was introduced is longer lines at the counter, due to it taking longer to serve each customer!
The other thing they are trying to introduce is plain brown packets with a uniform type face on all tobacco products.
The words 'kin ridiculous, spring to mind!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
evidently new yorkers are getting what they want since they keep electing him
This is truth.
My concern is other politicians with out a real agenda will use this as an example of success and try to spread this. I really feel this whole tactic is nothing but a slide of hand distracting people from the real issues. I would think a city as large as NY would have bigger issues. Homeless, violent crime, drugs, education just to name a few.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
As ghost has said, it is here and has been for awhile. It's crazy but that seems to be the way many things are going these days.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I am trying to comment on Bloomerg and his policies without getting banned. Lets's try this:
On the last page of one of my car magazines they posted a photo sent in from a reader in San Francisco. You know, the city with all the hills and the little Rice A Roni trolley puffing up and down them. At the base of one of the hills, politicians had erected a yellow triangle warning sign. Upon the warning sign was written a single word: HILL. Below the word HILL, someone had spray-painted the words: NO SHIT.
PS I don't believe he thinks he is saving lives. I believe he thinks he is saving his job and his power.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Just wait.... "Honey Boo-Boo will be president in about 20 years"..... Our fellow Americans are willing

to elect idiots to entertain us rather than lead us.....

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Do we really need this guy to save us from ourselves?
He seems to think so, as do a lot of politicians it seems. As stated above, we keep electing them...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, let me protest my love of good old NYC, the Big Apple, center for so many aspects of American

life -- art, theater, finance, advertising, design, etc. My wife, a Missouri farm girl, lived much of her

adult life in Greenwich Village, and I commuted to her house on Long Island when we were dating,

and always enjoy Manhattan and the city. All that said, I think it is a good thing that NYC is

hicksville, nowhere land for tobacco pipes. My wife says just having a cup of coffee in NYC is an

activity in itself; you feel like you are in touch with the pulse of the world. But I have more pipes and

tobacco within ten minutes drive than most of the burroughs of NYC. So let them nanny around all

they want. And don't demonize Joe Figurehead. People get what they demand at any particular

place and time, even when doing it by caving in. NYC does its thing, and my local pipe guy with

the little pencil written warning on the front door about second hand smoke does his. I couldn't

find a pipe shop in NYC; it's there somewhere, probably behind a false front newsstand.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would hope a proposal like this would end up getting shot down as well as it would greatly increase the wait time in line at stores and bodegas in NYC which is already a very impatient city.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I work in NYC and live thankfully in the suburbs. Bloomberg is a wanna be fascist dictator. This isn't about him keeping his job as he's on the way out (thank god) in a few months. This is about his giant ego and wanting to leave a legacy behind where he can feel that he made a difference in the health of New Yorkers.
This guy is a sleeze bag. It annoys the sh*t out of me that he got the city counsel to change the laws to allow him to run a 3rd term when clearly the voters of NYC had decided that the mayor should have only 2 terms. These idiots were dumb enough to vote him in a 3rd time. This is the heart of liberal America and they get what they deserve.
They want someone like Bloomberg to tell them what they can and can't do as they clearly can't think for themselves.
Most people here think Bloomberg is preventing obesity and diabetes by limiting the size of drinks when in reality it really isn't doing anything. That judge overturning the law is only temporary because they seem to randomly apply only to certain businesses and not others. Once they have that fixed the law will be in place.
If he could get it passed Bloomberg would ban Alcohol and Tobacco products completely but instead he just taxes the crap out of it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I am trying to comment on Bloomerg and his policies without getting banned. Lets's try this:
:rofl: Mark my words, this guy is going to take a run at the presidency. I would give him very good odds of success. Boggles the mind, then on the other hand, it doesn't.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
If the children can't see the cigarettes behind the counter then they won't know they exist. This seems like common-sense legislation to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.