PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I am proud to say It's been a few months now since I kicked the cig smoking habit! Like many I do not inhale my pipe or cigar smoke and I have always put cigarettes in a different category. Cigs were more about feeding addiction and pipes/cigars are more about taste, enjoyment, and relaxation for me. Anyway I never really liked cigars much until I quit the cigs now my tastes have changed and I'm really enjoying cigars. I mean enjoying them to the point that I am worried my pipes will feel/get neglected. I am also shifting to less aromatic pipe tobacco blends now. Just wondering if any former cigarette smokers have had similar experiences? Am I going to have to close down my account and find a cigar forum? :P

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Just make sure all your pipe tobacco jars have their lids on tight - you'll be back. :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
There's no law that says you can't enjoy both cigars and pipes concurrently. There are many of us who do just that. There are times when a cigar is a better choice just from a maintenance point of view, no tamping, relighting, etc. and you still get the enjoyment of a fine tobacco. I find that if I smoke a few cigars over my pipes for a day or three, the pipe tobaccos taste new and refreshing all over again. It's also ok to rest your pipe or pipes awhile if you just want to spend time on the cigar side of things but don't mothball them altogether because you may find yourself being drawn back in time. There are many who post on here who have taken a hiatus with their pipes and then return full on. Myself included.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a good cigar now and then, and by good I don't necessarily mean way expensive. But two strong

arguments for pipes: You get about 20 smokes out of a quality tin of pipe tobacco, less than a dollar a

bowl (sometimes much less, especially with bulk tobacco). And you have a lot more control in being able

to mix tobaccos at will, which can be highly pleasing if you get the hang of it. The best cigar ends up

crumpled in the ash tray or in the gutter, whereas a pipe can last a lifetime. Think about that! But

meantime, enjoy those stogies. A good cigar is a fine smoke.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
For me, it's pipes all the way. I enjoy the occasional stick on the golf course, but a lately my cobs have been coming with me for the loop, I just pre-pack a few bowls and slap on a wind-cap and I'm good to go.
Have you tried any of the pipe blends with Cigar leaf in them? I've gotten my hooks in to C&D's Billy Budd(got a bowl going while typing this), and recently the rest of my cellar has been neglected as a result.
For my money, you can't beat the quality(and quantity) of pipe tobacco, vs how much a good cigar is. Besides, my favorite cigar is pretty inexpensive in comparison to what you CAN pay for a box.

Jan 8, 2013
Indeed. I enjoy both, pipes and cigars, pretty regularly. Cigars a re great, so many creamy, bold flavors. But pipes have sweet, smokey, robust, all kinds of flavors. I pretty much gave up on aromatics as well, mainly sticking with heavy blends.
No reason you can't have both. But, like ruscho said, if you do take a break from the pipes, plan to come back.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
At one point in my smoking career I was smoking cigars and pipes at the same time. I did notice that the cigars made my pipes taste not as good as when I smoked my pipes exclusively. Cigars to my tastes have a much stronger taste and it makes me miss many of the nuances of my pipe tobacco. I now smoke pipes exclusively and love them. I do not miss my cigars and I certainly do not miss the price differential as pipe tobacco is so much less expensive. I was bale to buy a 25 year supply of pipe tobacco for much less than I would spend on just one years supply of cigars.
Here is a pic of my temp and humidity controlled cigar cabinet when I had about 3000 cigars in it. It contained about 90% Cuban cigars at the time. The other 2 pics are the draws in the cabinet filled with many hard to find and one of a kind cigars.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
THAT'S a serious humidor. There are houses smaller than that humidor. There may even be nations smaller than that humidor.
If you can't think of anything to do with those nasty leftover ratty cigars, Harris, I can help you with that...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
saddle, I sold off all but a couple hundred cigars and the cabinet back in 2009. I sold them all in one day as it was a feeding frenzy when guys saw the list of the cigars I was selling. I had some one of a kind Opus X cigars and sold one lot of 11 cigars for 1800.00. If you look in one of the draws, you will see three pipe shaped cigars. They were made for me by my Cuban cigar source in Lebanon when I told him I took up the pipe. I was a good customer of his plus I turned him on to so many customers and basically made his name for him in the US and he showed his gratitude in a big way. He was a great source plus he had a good supply of aged Cubans and did not charge stupid money for them. At one point in 1998 I was paying 5.60 a stick for Punch Super Seleccion 2's in cabs of 50. It is a corona gorda that got discontinued and by the time I sold them I was getting 18 bucks a stick for them. Not a bad profit. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.