PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I was contacted by someone to do some work. Since he was unknown to me, and the value of the items was significant, I thought I'd see if Google had anything to say about him.
Indeed, he had been listed---and lambasted---on one of those "sellers beware!" lists that (mostly Ebay) merchants use to give each other a heads-up.
As a result, I told the individual that I had no idea of the backstory, but since I had no way to check anyone's claims (on either side of the issue) it would be best for him not to send his pipes.
He responded that he truly wished I WOULD do some further digging, because the complaining/accusing Ebay seller was well known as someone who appeared to be unstable from time to time, used misrepresentation (primarily Shopped photos) to sell goods, and attacked the character of anyone who caught them doing it by putting their name on the aforementioned "sellers beware!" site.
So. This post is that further digging. I sure as hell don't want to get involved with a con-artist / unsatisfiable customer, but I don't want to be manipulated by some vindictive Ebay nutter who abuses the system, either.
The complainer is "shinypipes". The prospective customer is completely unknown to me except for that report on him. Outwardly, he seems quite a bright and decent sort.
Your thoughts?
Thanks. :D

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
They have been accused by many different buyers of over buffing, re-etching nomenclature, photo shopping out fills, listing replacement stems that don't even fit as original stems, and having horrendous customer service. No personal experience but when you see dozens of complaints from different people with photographic evidence, why take a risk?

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
So Shinypipes listed him on a sellers beware site. Do you know his ebay profile? You can check his ratings and see if it's just Shinypipes that is gunning for him, or if he is just a bad actor in general. What he said about Shinypipes is true to an extent, and they have been known to blast people for trying to get refunds on pipes that did not much resemble their photos and descriptions. But I wouldn't do business just on the basis that the seller who blasted him has a bad reputation.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Unless the ebay seller "shinypipes" is complaining about your potential customer for non payment, or a bounced check etc., I'd take whatever "shinypipes" says with a grain of salt.
It's been my experience in 15+ years on ebay that if a seller takes the time to create a blog/website etc. complaining about their customers for something other than non payment, it's usually the seller who has problems, not the customer.
If he's sending you pipes to restore, what's the risk? Even if he doesn't pay you, I assume you would keep the pipes. So, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure I understand what the risk is.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Do you know his ebay profile? You can check his ratings and see if it's just Shinypipes that is gunning for him, or if he is just a bad actor in general.
Suggestions like this ^^^^ are what I hoped might come from starting this thread, since I avoid Ebay as a general thing and know little about it. :clap: Thanks! :D
Just now went to look, and his Ebay name was included in the complaint, so I clicked into that. Looks like he has done a moderate number of deals (a few dozen over two years) and is rated 100% as both a buyer and seller.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If he's sending you pipes to restore, what's the risk? Even if he doesn't pay you, I assume you would keep the pipes. So, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure I understand what the risk is.
The risk is simply getting mired in something unsavory that would waste time, raise blood pressure, potentially trigger online retribution in some way, and so forth. I work on pipes because I enjoy the difficulty of doing it really well, and enjoy "saving people's friends" (as corny as that might sound). That's it. Money is by far the least of it.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have to say I see it as Seacaptain above. Hard to advise you on what to do but I would give him a chance.
Seen Shiny get a lambasting many a time. A search would probably tell you all those stories without the need for any of us.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ms pipes has been the subject of much discussion on this and other forums, mostly unfavorable. The last shinypipes related thread got so far out of hand that it and all other shinypipes threads on this site got deleted as a result. Some people have had good experiences with her, some have had terrible experiences with her. But I have to laugh because before you mentioned the name of the seller, I knew EXACTLY who it was.
eBay ratings are nothing that I take seriously. I've dealt with completely unrepentant snakes who had 100% positive ratings. But after the recent shinypipes appearance here I wouldn't consider her statements as at all credible.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK, the matter is settled.
After reading your comments here on the board, plus more that were sent via PM and email, it appears that the guy who contacted me had less to do with the complained-about transaction than the seller did. Indeed, he seems to be very much a "regular guy" (we spoke briefly on the phone), while a bit of digging into the Net-wide reputation of "shinypipes" showed them to be spotty.
As a result, I've decided to accept the work after all. 8)
So, thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. (Plus, I've got backup... people think that Ryan Alden lives in Texas, but he actually lives in the garage behind my house, and is on my payroll, working out and practicing Big Guy Scary Bodyguard & Enforcer Shit all day in case I need it.)

Mar 30, 2014
wv
vffEX6Fm.jpg

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
I've had personal dealings with Shinypipes and wouldn't trust their word about anything. Not sure why the last Shiny thread got closed, I imagine something happened during my nighttime hours because last I saw it we were doing okay.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
But I have to laugh because before you mentioned the name of the seller, I knew EXACTLY who it was.
Yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.