PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm a reader... a voracious reader. I typically wallow in the dank, dark, dungeons of Fantasy or among the galaxy hopping cruisers of Space Opera. But I also like to delve into contemporary and historical fiction.
As is likely the case with many of you, when I find a book that features a pipe, or a pipe smoker, those elements stand out. Pipes don't have to be pivotal to plot or character of a novel, or story, for them to interest me. But when they play any part, I notice. I thought it would be fun to call out some of these works of fiction, for the benefit of other readers, and would invite you to do the same so we can all add to the books on our nightstand.
Suggestion #1 - Two Solitudes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1296272.Two_Solitudes

A pivotal work of the early 20th century, this novel serves to illustrate the disparity between English and French Canada, as well as the impact of WWII and the push to the cities. Largely set in rural Quebec and in Montreal, this is a wonderful period piece which should be required reading for the Canadians on this board.
Suggestion #2 - Anatomy of a Murder - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/994663.Anatomy_of_a_Murder

A wonderful court-room drama, with a story based on actual events which took place in and around Marquette, Michigan in 1952. Adapted into a fantastic movie starring Jimmy Stewart, this seminal work happily depicts a cigar smoking defense attorney and a pipe smoking judge.
Now ... what books should I be adding to my e-reader?
-- Pat

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Crabtee_zpsoo5jdi7m.jpg

Perhaps not he best for an e-reader but Mr Crabtree is a classic! It's a series of comic strips that teach you the finer points of traditional UK coarse fishing through the young eyes of Peter who goes fishing with Mr Crabtree.
Just to whet your appetite
mr_crabtree_goes_fishing_zpsmu2weqgi.jpg

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I too enjoy contemporary SciFi books. But unfortunately I think the newer books do not have much pipe smoking mentions.
I recall reading Stephen Kings The Stand. There was a character that pipe smoked Borkum Riff. The way King described the smell made me crave a smoke.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton won the booker prize two years ago. It is an outstanding read. Simply put it is a mystery set in the New Zealand goldfields. There is more opium use than pipe smoking but pipe smoking is present.
Not so high brow there was a Sir Walter Raleigh smoking judge in one of John Grishams books. I think it was The Summons.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I too enjoy contemporary SciFi books. But unfortunately I think the newer books do not have much pipe smoking mentions.
Time to write the next great space odyssey with a pipe smoking, gun totin', smuggler cum wayward noble as the lead character. #pewpewpew
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton won the booker prize two years ago. It is an outstanding read. Simply put it is a mystery set in the New Zealand goldfields.
That sounds like it is right up my alley. Especially given my family connection to NZ.
Nice selection so far, folks. Let's keep it rollin.
-- Pat

owen

May 28, 2014
The good companions, J B Priestly. And he was a pipe man who liked a pipe in the bath tub.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
Ralph Manheim's "The Neverending Story" has a pipesmoking bookstore owner.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan. He is on the run with just a pouch full that he scooped out of the jar on the mantle piece, the rationed smokes are spread throughout the adventure. (that may not be accurate, its more the memory the story has impressed on me, its been a few years since I read it). I see it got made into a film in 1935, anyone seen that?
Lorna Doone sported some clay pipe action.
I will try and find back the book I read a while ago that has a husband who does not even know how to pack his own pipe, because his wife does it for him perfectly every time ha.
The Count of Monte Cristo has this romantic little excerpt...
There, on a table, surrounded at some distance by a large and luxurious divan, every species of tobacco known,—from the yellow tobacco of Petersburg to the black of Sinai, and so on along the scale from Maryland and Porto-Rico, to Latakia,—was exposed in pots of crackled earthenware of which the Dutch are so fond; beside them, in boxes of fragrant wood, were ranged, according to their size and quality, pueros, regalias, havanas, and manillas; and, in an open cabinet, a collection of German pipes, of chibouques, with their amber mouth-pieces ornamented with coral, and of narghiles, with their long tubes of morocco, awaiting the caprice or the sympathy of the smokers. Albert had himself presided at the arrangement, or, rather, the symmetrical derangement, which, after coffee, the guests at a breakfast of modern days love to contemplate through the vapor that escapes from their mouths, and ascends in long and fanciful wreaths to the ceiling.
I love books and pipes, great thread.

Isaac.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Pruss: The Luminaries was easily the best book I read a couple of years ago. With a New Zealand connection (and pipe connection) I have to mention Ruth Park's The Frost and the Fire (also called One-a-pecker, Two-a-pecker). It is also set in the New Zealand goldfields and mentions pipe smoking a few times. Once it is in reference to diggers with so little money they out a pipe stem into a hollowed out potato in order to smoke.

P

pipebuddy

I am getting Two Solitudes on my to get list. I was not even aware of its existence, so thanks for that one, Pruss. I am curious to read anglophones' point of view of that disparity.
Spontaneously, without over thinking it:
- Sherlock Holmes, of course.
- I have tried LOTR both in English and French and just can't get into it...There's just something about Tolkien's writing style that doesn't agree with me.
- The novels featuring Commissaire Maigret by Georges Simenon are favorites of mine.
- Louis Caron, an author from Québec, has pipe smoking very present in his novels. I am not sure if his work is translated in English, though.

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
https://www.goodreads.com/series/41077-barker-llewelyn
Obviously inspired by Sherlock Holmes and Watson, this series set in victorian England contains plenty of pipesmoking (our main detective even has a meerschaum carved in his own likeness) and was somewhat of a trigger for me in picking up the pipe.
I'm a binge reader, so keep the suggestions coming folks.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
The Maigret series, by Georges Simenon. Great reading and plenty of smoking references. In one of the books, a great scene is described where Maigret, the irrepressible pipe smoking French detective, is observing a young man on a bus trying to light a huge pipe. He thinks to himself (to paraphrase): "Why do the young always go for the oversized and overstated? He needs a smaller, lighter pipe that will sit better in his mouth". A neat observation, probably from the author's own experience. I can recommend these books as they also are great reads on a past world, albeit not that long ago. Good storylines and characterisation make for page turning reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.