Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Well ladies and gents! Last night my shop was broken into and quite a bit of my tools and misc. stuff were stolen. :twisted: There is nothing I hate more than a G@#@*%n thief! I don't steal from people and I hate people that steal from me! They jimmied the lock on my door and took my cutting torch , my grinders, drills , sanders, a bunch of reloading equipment, AR-15 magazines, Mini 14 magazines, 4 rifle scopes and two sets of binoculars. My daughters 65 mustang was parked in the shop and they stole the stereo out of her car and a bunch of other stereo equipment my son had out of his pickup. My shop is right next to my house and I live on a corner lot so I guess it was easy for them but damn I hate a thief. The scopes were not high dollar scopes, I keep my real nice stuff that is worth anything in the house in my gun safes, but it is just the fact of the matter, they were still mine and I didn't want them stolen. DAMN THIEFS!!! :crying:
Sorry for the rant but this is my home away from home so needed somewhere to rant a little!!.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@rsuninv, that's the truth to. The burglars are going to sell all of it for next to nothing what it was worth and the money will be used to buy drugs. The last time I had a vehicle break in I was almost more pissed that they busted my windows and stole absolutely nothing. My iPod was sitting in the cup holder and the change cup was untouched. Just busted my windows (and others) just to vandalize.
@Gary, sorry, bro. That is a f'n bummer. Hopefully insurance can cover it.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sounds like there needs to be more of a deterent.
And if some idiots are stupid enough to take drugs, I say give it to them by the truckload for free; the sooner they are put out of their misery the better!
Maybe it's time for a high pitched alarm, movement activated lighting and some heavy duty locks.
It's a shame we have to live this way. Sorry to hear about your loss Gary.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very sorry to hear it Gary - that's really bad. I can only imagine how pissed you must be! Hope your stuff is found - and be sure to keep an eye on craigslist and ebay for any of the items.
Good luck to you!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I know this doesn't help at this point, but after a couple we know endured a violent home invasion, the police said the two absolute best deterrents are a good alarm system and a dog. They got both within a week.
Don't know how that might apply to a shop like yours. Other than good locks and an alarm, I'm not sure how much more you could have done. (I have a home-based recording studio and a modest guitar collection, although not truly "collectible." I made it a point to photograph every item in my studio, including the instruments, mics, outboard equipment, computers, etc. I also have a spreadsheet with all of the guitars' serial numbers. Going forward, you might want to consider doing something similar for your shop, if you haven't done that already.)
The good news is that no one got hurt. And I'm guessing insurance can help to replace the losses.
Bob

That sucks.

I have to deal with shoplifters almost weekly. And, they are always the least intelligent people that I've ever met, with no social skills. And, never people you'd think of as "poor" or "needy" just idiots. I've never felt bad at all about processing these people to the fullest extent of the law.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
I have never had that happen to me but my dad has and we moved to a not so good neighborhood and that's when we bought shadow our black German shepherd. She sometimes scares me lol but she will lay her life on the line for me or my family. I hope they catch the •*^€#>£ who done this too you!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
When my Mother was alive I put a notice inside the front door window that read "Most items in this house are engraved with security numbers others are wired to explode when touched' and since dear old Mother had my Fathers Webley 455 revolver under the mattress I thought she would not have any hassle and until the day of her death she had no issues. Strangely I rent her home to the best tenants in the world who look after the place and garden and they have a massive dog. Some local gypsy or such like forced the front door whilst my tenants were out at the local social club. Apparently upon their return they found a smiling dog playing with someones ear and finger! Who needs a burglar alarm when you have a hound called Rocky!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had the experience. Went to court later to testify. The whole experience, I didn't need. It's built

into the species, ten percent of the population is shaky to sociopathic on theft and worse. Poverty is

a component in aggravating it, but part of it is congenital, wired in. And it sure isn't particular to

ethnicity nor nationality, etc. Yes, Rocky (the avenging dog) is instant justice, but there aren't enough

Rocky's in the universe. Country clubs and hedge funds have just as many of the ten percent as

the 'hoods. I think some parents are actually able to reform their kids early, more with brains than

corporal punishment which can stimulate the problems. The perpetrators think they've done something

intelligent and elevating. When they go to the slammer, it's like a degree program to them. It's the

moral code (any moral code) writ backwards and upside down. About the only handle on it is to

abandon or avoid substance abuse, for those who have the choice (but by doing that, they already

have a moral compass lacked by many). The eternal curse.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Gary, I'm really sorry to hear this news. I hope that your insurance helps recover some of your lost goods, and that the feelings of anger, loss and violation diminish with time and a few good smokes. All the best, pal.
-- Pat

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks Gentlemen for all the kind words and encouragement. I am already working on a different lock set up and I have a new dog he is just to little at this time to do any good, but that will change.
@ Six first thing my son said was he would be monitoring Craigslist for me
@ pruss Thank you sir and I already just sat down and smoked me a few bowls through my Ryan Alden billiard and let my blood pressure go back to normal and all is right with the world. I will get my shop back in order and be good to go.
One good thing was I had left a tub of Carter Hall and a pipe on my work bench last night and thank God the thieves didn't take my pipe or my Carter Hall or I might have to be out patrolling for them bastards!! :D
Again thanks to all of you for your words.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Oh man as one who has experienced theft, I'm pissed for you I'm generally a forgiving person, but I have trouble with thievery. Sorry to hear that Gary. I hope your insurance will cover some of the loss. There is always the shotgun hooked to a pulley tied to a string and the door knob method.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
truly disgusting, Gary. Hope they catch the guy, and he gets prosecuted to the full extent of the law. And pick up a German Shepherd or a Rottweiler. They make great burglar alarms and can get a thief to praying for the cops to come.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I know this doesn't help at this point, but after a couple we know endured a violent home invasion, the police said the two absolute best deterrents are a good alarm system and a dog
I've grown up with boxers, I've got a 100lb dog sat on my feet as I type and yep 100lb is massive for a boxer. I do feel secure with a dog around even though I've had the house broken into when there has been a boxer inside.
We got back one night and found the front door jimmied open, walking into the house it was immediately obvious somebody had been in the house and the dog was nowhere to be seen. Walking into the kitchen we found the dog, he was sat infront of the kitchen door and had pinned the burglar to the wall by merely looking ferocious. Oddly the dog had let the burglar come into the house and then walk around picking stuff up but had stopped him as he tried to leave. The police where grateful for a theif caught red handed and the dog enjoyed his reward steak.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Gary, I know the feeling after been a victim of burglary myself. It's not the missing stuff so much as the feeling of having your personal space violated.
I came home from a swing shift one night to find a guy in my living room stacking stuff up outside to hand to his partner standing on the other side of my fence. They took off when came in. I called 911 and in about an hour and a half later a cop came out to take my report. He said I was lucky they didn't shoot me when I surprised them. My concept of security changed at that very point.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
People run out and purchase guns thinking that will do some good, which more often than not is useless.

That's not to say I don't have a loaded gun in my nightstand, but I've had guns for years.

As previously mentioned, one of the best deterrents to a thief is a dog. A LOUD dog! Of course a good alarm system is also another good deterrent. A couple of old cop friends told me that B&E morons just don't want the hassle, and or taking a chance when they hear or know a dog is on the premise. They want to move quickly... and quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.