PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Hello fellow Pipe People. I used to hang out here a lot in 13-14 but had a financial crisis so the tobacco went first.

Even though I hoarded quite a few tins and jars, I'm going to end up running out. I'm really into Virginia,and VaPer flake. So I decided on building a nice cellar again.

Went online to P & C and the selection has trimmed down a bit and whatever I wanted or would even settle for was out of stock.

So I went from site to site old and new looking for the like 7 blends I really enjoy.

90% of my fave blends are flake but seriously, what's going on? Were there new laws put into effect to control how much stock a site can have, or the supply doesnt meet the demand?

Prices have went up 20-30 percent on average I'd say. Pipes had just started taking off again in popularity in 2013. Has it like went viral? Lol frustrating though. Before I had all the quality tobacco at my finger tips and went broke over about a year so I quit. Now I have plenty of money and can't get a tin of FVF or any VaPer slices at all for that matter. Kind of bummed because you know what happened to my VaPer and Virginia cellar right??? I smoked almost all of it.

I know this may not be the proper place to ask this. If not delete or move to proper catagory. I have several unopened tins of Greg pease blends. I have an unopened 100g tin of original Frog Mortin and other stuff. If anyone wants to make a trade for some good VaPer flake, let me know. Happy smoking.
Regards,

Shawn

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
McClelland is indeed gone. They closed up shop at the beginning of the year. Dunhill announced that they were discontinuing distribution at the beginning of 2017 and their stocks are getting depleted.
P&C has been out of many blends for quite some time, but blends return from time to time. What other on line shops have you checked? You may find some of what you're looking for elsewhere. Also, check with your local B&M if you have one. Prices may be higher, but at least you may find blends that you can't find online.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
but seriously, what's going on?
Welcome back.
What you're observing is simply what the beginning stages of the apocalypse look like. Unfortunately it only gets worse from here.
The final stage looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TeEvPdTYo

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I started a "good va/per" thread last week, if your looking for some alternatives that may be in stock you can search for the thread in the search the forums box.. lots if interesting options there..

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQoWvQJqzw
jay-roger.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQoWvQJqzw
I must say that does sum it all up pretty well. It's all anyone really needs to know in 2 minutes and 11 seconds.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
If you are looking to rebuild your cellar, I can't think of a better bunch of smoke than PS Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye flake.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear about your financial issues but glad to hear you are back in the saddle again. There are lots of good blends out there to replace the ones that are discontinued. You should be able to rebuild your cellar in quick order.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of excellent blends available in tins, tubs, pouches and bulk. Be open minded and you'll discover some delectable blends. Another bump in the road is coming with FDA regs on new blends that will dampen the creativity of our wonderful blenders, but that's a good reason to explore some of the older but dependably available blends. Stock up on a few you like to weather shortage. Moderate smoking helps, if you can do that.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Hurry! Buy like a mad man!

These days you have to buy at least 250 pounds every 6 months or you will get left behind. :?

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Now’s the perfect time to try something new. C&D and Pease blends are usually in stock nearly everywhere. Gawith Hoggarth blends are slightly more available than Sam G blends. Enjoy the journey

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
These days you have to buy at least 250 pounds every 6 months or you will get left behind
Lets do a little math
250 pounds = 113,500 grams
at 4 grams per bowl = 28,375 bowls
at 5 bowls per day = 5,675 days = 15.5 years.
Does not sound like getting left behind.
Lets do a little more math.
At an average of $10 for a 50gram tin, that 250 pounds = 113,500/50 * 10 = $22,700
That would be $45,400 per year for tobacco.
Just sayin'

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You came in just after a couple of months of the better VA Flakes being available, at least IMHO. Lots of Samuel Gawith shipped in July and August. It was no problem buying pounds of it. Fribourg & Treyer shipped mostly in August and was available if you were on the ball and checked the different sites. I managed to buy in the range of 100 tins of F&T of the various types. Wessex was available off and on over the past month or so as was Rattrays. There was even a brief window on John Aylesbury Classic Flake, I managed to grab 25 tins of that nice Va Flake Blend. There was even some Astley No 44 briefly available in limited quantities.
I'm not sure what cycle these companies are shipping on, it doesn't appear to be a cycle. It had been over 6 months since I had seen much of any of the blends I mentioned. Go to all the primary sites, create an account and then sign up to be notified on every blend you're looking for. Keep an eye out here as someone seems to always want to make an announcement when the products have come available. Save your money and buy as much as you can when it does become available.
As an alternative, there are several European sites where you can get most of these blends as well as other good ones such as HU Tobaccos. You'll pay a bit more but at least you can get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.