PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's amazing how something as simple as a match can focus the mind.
Today for the first time in who-knows-how-long, I ran out of butane lighters. Not that I couldn't hop in the car, make a run to WallyWorld and buy a few packs. But, I just didn't feel like going anywhere today. I had enough to do around the house.
When I realized that my last lighter was ready for Baronsamedi's services, I said to myself: "Self, you have an unopened package of match boxes that have been collecting dust for a while... just use those."
I packed a pipe of Borkum Riff Cherry Liquor and struck a match to it... It was nice, then I stuck another and puffed away... I got distracted and out went my pipe. Struck another, got distracted and struck another... this went on for half a box before I realized that I wasn't paying attention to my pipe. (Oh the horror!)
Well to make a long story only a little longer...

I packed another pipe... Struck a match and performed a proper Char Light... puffed a couple of times... waited for the ember to die... Tamped. Struck another match and performed a proper True, settled into a comfortable cadence and puffed away, blissfully unaware of the world....
:puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
I only have a couple of pipes that require a lighter towards the end of the chamber because it is too deep to get at with a match. When I can, I pretty much always use a match anymore. Gives me better control and a better flame to perform a char light, and I just find it lights more evenly all around. And there is just something about that trademark hiss sound when the match head jumps to life with a flame.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I do enjoy using a wooden match to strike and light the pipe, it is somewhat therapeutic.
Less so when I forget to dump my ashes/matches and the wind blows them all over the patio....Mrs. Jones is NOT a big fan of that exercise...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I use matches. Period.
I like to use kitchen matches if I can. Keep a box on my desk, and in other places I am apt to be smoking.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
I think butane lighters focus the heat too much...a match is more likely to disperse the heat better.
I also think butane leaves an unwanted aftertaste....

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Well written Lawrence... I'm close to running out. I just text June to stop and get 4 boxes of

kitchen matches on her way. She's off at noon and joining me at the lake. Hope I make it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have lots of wooden matches but I always use my Corona Old Boy lighter. The flame is soft enough and I hate having to dig around for a tamper. Having the tamper built into the lighter is far too convenient for me to ever give it up.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Me thinks its our fascination with fire from the dawn of time. Can't count how many times I have heard "Dad?, Dad?, are you listening?" as I have sat mesmorized by many a campfire.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I would love to be able to perfect my match lighting. I have had some serious trouble lighting with a match. Not really lighting, but managing to get a nice even light. Mind, the bowl on my briar is quite deep and relights tend to just focus on the centre of the bowl and leave the edges charred but not smoked. Oh the trials and tribulations of a new pipe smoker haha
I think mr beewrangler has this issue cased. There is just something so entirely hypnotic about fire, whether it be a camp fire, match, or candle flame, it seems to draw you in. Draws you in and holds you there until you fall backwards into reality.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think mr beewrangler has this issue cased. There is just something so entirely hypnotic about fire, whether it be a camp fire, match, or candle flame, it seems to draw you in. Draws you in and holds you there until you fall backwards into reality.
Reminds me of a great quote. I don't know the origin only the quote spoken by an elderly lady:

"I don't watch television... I have a fire place."

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 Lawrence. Even though I have several disposable lighters around the house I am always drawn to my box of kitchen matches. There is something magical about striking the match, having a flame appear, and seeing the tobacco ignited by the flame that has a calming effect that I don't get when using a lighter.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm a match man, myself.
They are unfriendly in the rain and wind, or in the deepest recesses of a bowl, but I can't bring myself to replace a tried and true method that is so cheap and accessible.

erdnase

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2012
Greetings,
I bought that match safe the other day and that's all I have been using. I agree, something about using matches to light a pipe.
Onward...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
So do you have to get special strike anywhere matches to use with that or can you just use regular wooden matches? I presume there is a striker of some kind on the match safe?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Locally, the only wooden matches I can find are "Diamond Green Light", "Strike on Box" matches from my local Food Lion. They only seem to carry them in the summer, with the BBQ supplies. So, I buy two 4 packs at a time. That gets me thru the winter. They occasionally carry some red-head ones, that are better for pipe lighting. I like how it with the match, I can get deep into the bowl. But, I've found with a careful pack and light, I only need one or two matches to get it started and only seldom need to relight.
4397410_05092011l_shivak.jpg

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I have a Zippo pipe lighter, but I don't use it because I like the control I get with a match. Also, let's face it: matches are rustic/cool. I use a Swedish brand of pipe matches called Cricket that are made sulfur free! Although they don't have the "match" smell I'm used to, I nevertheless get a nice light every time.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm a match only guy myself. I buy from the local hardware store in 4 pack containers holding several hundred matches each. With a proper light, I rarely need to relight and when I do, the match will reach down as far as I need. But I do have my eye on a Vector Zippo pipe lighter insert. I'd like to try it out but P&C can't ship it to Canada. Its not their fault, seems we're not allowed to play with lighters here in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.