PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for letting us know Kevin.
On some forums you can edit indefinitely, but the forum saves every edit and makes it known to readers, it allows people to run a single thread like a mini-blog since the first post can continually be updated, and I just appreciate being able to fix grammatical errors any time I see them.
Do you have any plans to uprade to a system like that?

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
This seems like a step backward. Being able to edit for grammar and spelling would make this forum more readable.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I wondered if there was a change. Thank you for the heads up. I have to agree with Escioe. Sometimes I mess something up grammatically and don't realize it for a bit.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I also agree with Escioe and Mephistopheles. Sometimes, I go back to a thread soon after I have posted to see what someone else posted, and I find I have to correct a misspelling or grammar. I like being able to fix those problems, and the change will hamper my ability to do that.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I absolutely detest the editing time window in general. No offense but I don't always have time to immediately edit and it's a bit frustrating. I am on several forums and this is the only one that doesn't leave the edit function open indefinitely. In years of being on other forums, I have never seen it cause an issue. I for one would like to see the edit time window gone for good but just my 2 cents. It's not a deal breaker but it has only ever caused me frustration and never helped in any perceivable way.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This seems like a step backward. Being able to edit for grammar and spelling would make this forum more readable.
I have to agree with Escioe. Sometimes I mess something up grammatically and don't realize it for a bit.
Sometimes, I go back to a thread soon after I have posted to see what someone else posted, and I find I have to correct a misspelling or grammar. I like being able to fix those problems, and the change will hamper my ability to do that.
This makes 5 of us!
As I live in a foriegn country my computer messes up my words by changing them into Spanish. This means I constantly have to correct spelling or remove accents.
I'm sure 10 minutes will be enough, but we all tend to lose track of time as we get lost in the myriad of threads and posts.
Thanks for letting us know Kevin.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I've never understrood the reasonimg behind ANY posst editing time limit.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'm content with being a Grammar Maverick (trademarked) 99% of the time I post, it's on my iPhone with the lovely auto correct without proof reading. Let your grammatical errors shine fellas.
I say 0 minutes for editing. Let it be etched in stone.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I used to own and run a forum site for about eight years and editing ones post was only allowed for 30 seconds, and for a very good reason. Disputes and such things can happen all too frequently on any given forum site and one having the ability to go back and edit (CHANGE) their post when perhaps that person started some so called 'friction' has been proven to be to counterproductive. For example, if I insult another member and he/she responds to my insult I then (now) have the ability to go back and edit it and make that person look like an idiot. That of course is just one of many examples why editing should only be allowed for a short period on a forum site. Granted, I've gone back and edited my share of posts to correct grammar and spelling, but that is why I would LOVE to see this site have WYSIWYG posting, and being able to preview your post before hitting submit. That is what I had on my forum site, and the way it is on most forum sites that I frequent and it's provided for a very good reason. You have the chance to see your errors before posting, and you can see EXACTLY the way it will look before you submit it. However, I seriously doubt that the programming on this forum site does not have these options which is really a shame as I'm quite confident that would resolve most concerns about being able to edit ones post. Either way, this is a great forum site and is run quite well by Kevin and his moderators as compared to other forum sites that have the posting options that I previously mentioned and I'm confident that that Kevin has good reason for changing the time limit on editing. :wink:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Can't moderators see the edit history? Doesn't that make policing those abusing the system easier? I edit constantly but only for grammar, spelling and sometimes to clarify or better state a point. I'm not too concerned with the other use.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
No, nor for that matter can the administrator/owner.

Oh, well that is unfortunate and makes the set up a bit more understandable. I'm just used to places where I can edit properly at will. I stand by what I say but I also want to get my point across properly. Regardless, I like this site and am happy to follow whatever rules are set forth.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I do the best I can at editing my response before I hit submit. I like to have a small window in case I don't catch it. If the idea is to prevent someone from editing a flame job then I agree with that. If you can't have control of your emotions enough to not submit something you wouldn't say to your mom then you aught to be able to stand by what you said like a man and take the heat for your poorly chosen words. If you later regret what you said then apologize in the open forum or at least to the other fellow through the PM.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
I've gone back and edited my share of posts to correct grammar and spelling, but that is why I would LOVE to see this site have WYSIWYG posting, and being able to preview your post before hitting submit.
I completely agree.

Some of us type much faster than we think.

Phil's idea is the be-all end-all (read: the bee's knees).

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You will always find a few bad apples. Posters were using the 45 minute window to their advantage. Well done Kevin.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I love the forum rules. With the exception of the Owner's original post most everything in this thread violates forum guidlines. I sense that I am quickly becoming unpopular...
Do Not Publicly Dispute Moderation Decisions
11. Do not post on the forums questioning moderation decisions or the integrity of the moderators. Questions about moderation decisions can be addressed in private conversation with the moderators. Be respectful of the moderators, both in the forums and in any private communications.

Oh well, rules are just rules

Status
Not open for further replies.