PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
On December 7, I had a spinal fusion from L2 -5. Quite the surgery, as you can well imagine. On my return home, I discovered that my tobaccos didn't taste quite right and I am assuming that this is due to the influence of the heavy doses of morphine I was taking. I wonder if any of you have had similar experiences? Then, to make matters worse, the installed hardware failed, and they did a revision of the surgery last Monday, installing heavier hardware, heavier screws, and making me truly a bionic man. I'm currently at a rehab facility not far from home recovering my strength, learning to do most things, save smoking my pipes. During this difficult periodI had the occasion to be home for one day, during which I was installed as Worshipful Master of my Masonic Lodge. I expect to be out of here in a few days, and then I will begin to sample my tobaccos on a bit by bit basis. If any of you have any advice to offer on how to enjoy tobacco while taking heavy doses of narcotics, I would appreciate it. The good news is that the narcotics are managing my pain, but not putting me in Disneyland, so I'm grateful for that. I've been whiling away time here listening to broadcasts with Brian Levine and Olie Sylvestor, longing to sample a bowl now and then. Anyway, colleagues, words of comfort and encouragement would certainly be appreciated.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Glad to see you. Hang in there and things will get better. Soon the tobacco will taste like it did.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sounds like you've been through a lot. I hope you mend quickly and get back to doing the things you like most. Best wishes for a better 2013.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thanks for your good wishes, please blow a puff of good smoke my way. I look forward to lighting up my own in a few days, and once I'm off the narcotics, I'll be able to have a glass of brandy or a single malt, or even a glass of wine with dinner. right now alcohol is strictly a no no.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Have you discussed smoking with the doctor? My wife had three vertebrae in her neck fused last year and the doctor emphatically said that nicotine can impede bone healing. If your doctor agrees, I suggest giving up the pipe for several months to heal.
Winton

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
According to just about every doctor on the planet nicotine is bad for anything and everything. If we listened to the doctors on that score, every one of us would take our pipes and tobacco and toss them in the trash. I would not object to seeing some documentary evidence on the impact that nicotine has on bone healing, and then I might consider the idea. I did mention my pipe smoking to my orthopedic surgeon, and he didn't say a word about nicotine and bone healing, however I will make it a point to ask him very specifically on the issue. Moreover, we do have some physicians who are members of this forum, and it might be interesting to hear from them as to what they have to say. I'm certainly willing to defer my return to smoking if there is serious evidence that points in that direction; however I do not want to hear one more sermon from one of these antismoking evangelists.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Don't know about the healing aspect, but I do know that on the rare occasions when I had to take pain medication the intake of nicotine would really send me for a loop if I smoked while on the pain meds. To me it seems to amplify the woo-woo effect of narcotics. Not pleasant at all.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Winton-- or rather, his wife's doctor may be correct. It's certainly worth checking out, which I'll do shortly. Certainly the last thing I'd wish to do is impede my healing. U'l'Yadan: Rav todot!

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Get well wishes to you, and congrats on your ascension to the East. Listen to the Past Masters (cuz they run the Lodge) and remember you'll be back on the Level in a year. Sic transit gloria mundi.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Coalsmoke: I think you hit the nail right on the head. The reason that we all smoke pipes is because we enjoy the taste of our tobaccos and the last thing we want to see happen is to lose that sense of pleasure that comes from lighting up and enjoying a bowl of a favorite blend. Right now my body is filled to the brim with narcotics: it's a detestable thing, and I cannot imagine why some people want to do it for fun, because let me tell you something brother: it ain't no fun at all. The taste of certain foods is flat, so why shouldn't the taste of tobacco be equally so? Of course, as soon as my healing has progressed to a certain point, I'll begin to decrease the amount of morphine and Percocet that I take, because I'll be better able to handle the level of pain that I have, but that time is not yet, sad to relate. So for the time being I will stare sadly at my racks of pipes, and contemplate my tobaccos, and look forward to that day when I will be able to put the two together once again, sit back and enjoy the divine clouds of our wonderful hobby.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Unfortunately, I can't help you out here. I had my spinal fusion during my nicotine free years and I can't use morphine. I can tell you that I have not had any issues with my pain meds and tobacco taste.
My main advice is to do your physical therapy. I didn't and have not had a pain free day in 3 years. Get well soon!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I think that the meds do effect the taste of my tobacco sometimes. I've had back surgeries and I feel your pain. My surgeries didn't work:( I wish you a speedy recovery.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
morphine now for about 4 months. i have not seen any change in tobacco taste for me...

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Hope all fixes itself in your future recovery mate. Get well soon, so you can smoke some more baccy! :puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Well my friends, there does seem to be significant evidence that cigarette smoking does have a negative impact on the healing of spinal fusions. The problem is that a great many researchers put all smokers into the same category and therefore if one is a pipe smoker they will assume that the negative effects of pipe smoking or precisely the same as those of cigarette smoking. I smoke a maximum of three bowls per day, more often one or two, and I am willing to assert that my nicotine level in my bloodstream is in fact rather low, though I have no evidence whatsoever for this. I'm going to make a wild, unfounded statement that the amount of pipe smoking that I do does not negatively impact anything, and certainly will not affect the rate of healing of my spinal fusion. I have no evidence whatsoever for this, but then those who claim that it does are in the same boat. I will be home tomorrow and I will sample my tobaccos, and if the if there is a negative impact on taste , that will determine my future actions, more than anything else.

As to Cynyr'r observation that I will be back on the Level in a year, I have only one question: will it be that long?

Status
Not open for further replies.