Not Sure I'd Want This On My Tomatoes But......

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
....maybe It might add a little flavour?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48359571
I thought name Katrina Spade was a pretty apt name given her interest in the scheme :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kinda gross, but it also makes sense on several levels.
I can also see pricey vegetables: "Fresh cucumbers, grown in soil that was once Charlize Theron. Special today, $38/cuke."

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Kinda gross, but it also makes sense on several levels."
I kind of agree John, but so many worthless lives ..... murderers, rapists, paedos could be composted thus but who the heck eats cucumbers?
A cucumber is .... to me at least ...... a 'nothing' vegetable. Totally tasteless (I have grown them) and totally useless :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
That is pretty gross. Hydroponics sound more to my liking. But, in reality, what percent of soil consists of dead animals/people?
That still wouldn't be my cup of tea though.
Also, I do love cucumbers. But have never grown them.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not a fan of plain cucumbers. I do like pickles though. I would buy a jar of Charlize Theron pickles.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
That is the most un Godly thing I can think of. It started on the left coast didnt it ?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm all for it, my body is merely a vessel for my brain. When I'm done with it take it outback and toss it in the wood and let the possums eat me for all I care. It's how the ecosystem works. You are aware that a vast number of farms spray literal pig **** on fields before planting them. It's a sight to see it looks like a huge water sprinkler and you can smell it for miles. I see no difference.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Washington State is indeed on the left side of the lower 48.
Manure spread on fields, yes. Liquid manure sprayed, yes, but I doubt it's legal to do on crop that will be directly ingested by us humans. What crop is grown where pig shit is sprayed in your area, acid?

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm not sure on the legality or rules of it, but thinking back it does seem that I am remembering that if it was sprayed in the spring in was most likely a corn or soybean field, and if in fall it could be any number of things the following spring. I guess from fall to spring would be enough time for it to compost.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I wish you could still be buried in your back yard.
My preference would actually be to return to the life cycle. I don't want to be pumped full of preservatives and viewed at my memorial. I've never seen anyone look right, and it's unnatural and weird.
As the cheapest alternative for my family, I have expressed my wishes for a direct cremation. It's the cheapest option. They pick up the body and bring you the ashes in a box.
Most of my mother's ashes are on my mantle till I think of a great place to scatter them. A portion are in my yard in a small patch of wildflowers. I take a moment and think of mom more often than I travel to my father's grave.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My preference would actually be to return to the life cycle. I don't want to be pumped full of preservatives and viewed at my memorial. I've never seen anyone look right, and it's unnatural and weird.
Agree on both counts.
It just occurred to me that maybe by the time I shed this earthly veil, there may be laser technology to to the following. Show me lying in open coffin (a wooden one, though) with the minister starting his eulogy. Then I clear my throat, slowly sit up, and disagree with what he just said. Then I get out of the box and address the crowd, thank them for coming etc. All this with a hologram or whatever they're called.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting that one post saw this as an especially disrespectful method of handling remains suitable only for society's outcasts. Most methods of handling human remains are distasteful in their details, involving as they do, the end of our precious (not meant ironically) lives. The standard embalming, casket and vault burials involve a lot of formaldehyde that collectively make many cemeteries somewhat like toxic waste sites. I think people could come to see composting as a reverent and honorable way to handle remains of loved ones, though I am not certain they will. It's expensive, somewhere between cremation and coffin-and-vault burial. The one upside is that by the time this decision has to be made for each of us, we won't be concerned. I don't find it any better or worse than the other available options, just enough different to upset some.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I had just read about this. I told my wife right away that this is what I want done with me, if it is available where we are. Being turned into a flower garden doesn't sound so bad.
Also, reminds my of the Guy Clark song "Homegrown Tomatoes". Especially this line "When I die don't bury me. In a box in a cemetary. Out in the garden would be much better. I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes."
Homegrown Tomatoes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In Europe and other places where land is at a premium, many burial mausoleums are only temporary holding places, until all but the bones are gone, and then these are put in separate more compact ossuary. Other societies have special priests who feed the remains to birds, and some indigenous people in North America put the remains on a platform where the birds slowly carried them away. These all require acceptance by the living and reverence in carrying out disposal that to other societies looks gruesome. Even in the early Twentieth Century, cremation was frowned upon or forbidden by major religious groups, whereas it has been the best approved method in Asia in many places for eons. Acceptance and respect are the crucible. Didn't the Vikings set the deceased to sea in a burning skiff? Though I think that was an honor for the especially heroic.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I like cremation better, and I'm with George Carlin on this one; isn't it a LITTLE strange that we store all the dead people in one part of town?
Edit; this conversation reminds me of a sign I saw on a restaurant door in Colorado Springs. "No smoking or vaporizing in this building".
I don't plan on vaporizing until I'm dead!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"That is the most un Godly [sic] thing I can think of."
Please explain Headhunter.
"I don't want to be pumped full of preservatives and viewed at my memorial. I've never seen anyone look right, and it's unnatural and weird."
Well said Davek, I couldn't agree more :clap:
Come my time, just stick me in a wicker basket and bury me in the woods nice and deep :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.