PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Hi everyone, I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence. When I first started smoking a pipe I smoked some aromatics from America, Denver to be exact. I remember getting terrible tongue bite all the time to the point I needed to drink milk to stop the pain, as with spicy food. On one occasion I smoked my pipe pretty much all day, chainsmoking, at a barbecue while drinking whisky. My tongue was actually burned for days, but even afterwards I still got pain from smoking. I smoked on and off, a bowl or two a week for months thereafter. Now even if I have a long hiatus I never get any tongue bite. I can smoke blends people often complain about (UK OTCs like Clan, Gold Block, straight Virginias etc) without a tingle. I also smoke hot and fast, despite my efforts to change that. Have I burnt my tongue permanently somehow?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not at all. Sounds like you've perfected you packing and smoking cadence. :clap:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I suspect a combination of improving technique and acclimatization.
I bitched and moaned after chicken frying my mouth on McClelland's Red & Black, early on. I swore that Virginias were the result of Satan's solid waste elimination process.
Then, I got my hands on some MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired and paired it with an agreeable pipe shape. At first, it was still painful, but the flavor was so awesome, I was determined to figure it out.
I believe now that my technique has improved some and my mouth has grown more accustomed to the situation. I still get a wee bit sensitive on the roof of the mouth sometimes. Today, for instance, humidity it through the roof and I don't think the flake has gotten as dry as I usually go for.
The three pronged mantra that Sable and others finally drilled through my head:
Pack it looser than you think you should
Dry it longer than you think you should
Smoke it slower than you think you should.
In my situation, I only smoke from about 2-8pm, 3-4 bowls per day. I've found it's helpful to end my day with a thorough but gentle toothbrush session and mouthwash just before my 9pm bed time (I'm up at 4am). I also keep water beside the bed and sip every time I wake.
You admit to smoking hot and fast. I'd start there. Get some milder stuff for when you want to be a freight train and develop your style for the more challenging blends. You're still tasting things OK, so I suspect your tongue is in decent shape.
MTFBWY! :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jay, I think Sables advice is sound. Gandalf has his uses around these parts, that's for sure. :wink:
I think with experience I discovered those techniques. Smoking dry tobacco and sipping is really the best advice.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. I do still have my tongue, fortunately, but it was a bit "touch and go" admittedly after that barbecue! It's interesting that a number of people go through a kind of acclimation to the tobacco, maybe my mouth just got used to it over time. One thing I'd like to ask though, whenever I smoked dryer tobacco I would get the worst tongue bite. For that reason I usually smoke my tobacco quite damp. Why would drying prevent the bite? Thanks again.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
The sipping method changed my pipe smoking adventure drastically for the better. All blends to me taste better if sipped...even aromatics, which I do not participate in very often. Blends taste better and tongue bite less. In the end, I agree with the statements above...it seems as though you have improved your packing and smoking cadence but if you are still smoking hard and fast, well then you either are lucky or...again agreeing with the above post...check to see if you still have a tongue.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Maybe I'm not smoking as badly as I think, I don't know. I suppose I smoke in a similar way to "matches860" on Youtube if you've ever watched his stuff, but I retrohale all the time, almost every 3 puffs.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Sounds like you are doing just fine. Once you get the perfect smoking cadence then yep, the next step is the retrohale. You will get the full flavor of the tobacco with that combination. Once the pipe is going well I do mostly just little puffs at regular intervals retrohaling often. That is the path to a sublime smoke. Keep up the good work and matches is a great man to use as a mentor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just to chime in, I'd guess it is better technique as is already mentioned, some cultivated tolerance, and maybe some inclination toward blends that behave better. I discovered that even full strength non-aromatics cause me less burn than some aromatics. I can't do cinnamon and some other flavors, and I definitely to better with tobacco forward aromatics where the flavoring is more subtle. Some of the old holiday blends were like chemical warfare for me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I swore that Virginias were the result of Satan's solid waste elimination process.
:rofl:
Some of the old holiday blends were like chemical warfare for me.
:rofl:
Molach95 ... as you can see, you are not the only one. We have ALL been there my friend. Heck, just the other day I fried my tongue on a new roll tobacco I wasn’t familiar with. Had to take two days off just to settle the burning sensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.