Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Seven US Senators Question FDA on Final Rule

Barry July 08, 2016 Featured, News 0 Comment
According to Cigar Rights of America on June 7, 2016, seven United States Senators – Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL), Senator Bob Casey (D-PA), Senator Jon Tester (D-MT), Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), Senator Robert Melendez (D-NJ), Senator Joe Manchin (D-MT), and Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) – sent a letter to FDA Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf to express their concerns with the final rule that subjected premium cigars to regulation.
In the body of the letter, the seven Senators not only expressed their dismay with FDA’s decision, but they also posed, and are seeking answers, to questions as to how the FDA will manage and implement the provisions being subjected on the premium cigar industry. Their questions, can help build the case that the FDA is unprepared and ill advised to pursue regulations on premium and large cigars.
These senators and thirteen of their colleagues are sponsors of S. 441 which calls for an exemption from regulation for premium and large cigars.
To date, the letter has yet to be answered.
Visit Cigar Rights of America
Senator Letter to FDA
3Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)3Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)1Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)1Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)

Like this:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I suppose that's a start but what surprise me is that the 2 senators from my state, Pa, have not been vocal enough on this issue. Pennsylvania is a tobacco state and with CI (P&C's parent) and Famous Cigar here there is much to lose. I've written to both and will continue to do so.

We're also fighting a huge tax increase on cigars and pipe tobacco here so there's a 2 front fight going on.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I pulled this from a primarily cigar store so it's written as such. I believe we are lumped together and definitely need there side of support as well. Most of the senators listed stand to lose a lot of tax revenue in their state if this industry killing bill goes through as it is.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I pulled this from a primarily cigar store so it's written as such. I believe we are lumped together and definitely need there side of support as well. Most of the senators listed stand to lose a lot of tax revenue in their state if this industry killing bill goes through as it is.

No "we" are not lumped in with this. Most pipe tobacco sold is labeled RYO cigarette tobacco to avoid higher taxes, we are lumped in with these guys, not premium cigars and I don't think we're not ever going to get any love.

I'm a cigar enthusiast and a CRA member and IMO they are the driving force behind the premium cigar exception I believe we will get it. 8O

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have written my Reps. Are the blenders themselves exerting whatever pressure they can? Is the "high end" tobacco industry working this like the cigar guys are? I have almost enough tobacco for the rest of my life. But what about the next generation...what about the carvers making just a "living" but a happy living.
Tobacco for pleasure may be dying. Cigarettes will feed a nic addiction and that industry is safe...for now. I can get nicotine form gum and patches and lozenges, I get pleasure....and nicotine from a pipe filled with fine tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.