PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
What exactly would a NOS Dunhill be? I'm not believing there's old pieces turned somewhere sitting around for decades. Would it be a total recondition? Approx 1/2 price?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would assume that would mean they'd maybe rough shaped the bowls and didn't get around to finishing them, so they sat in the factory for years. Someone finally stumbled across them and decided to finish them off and put them on the market. Peterson recently did something like this where they stumbled across some amber stems that were in storage and they finished what they could use silver spigot mounted them to the best briar in the factory and put them out on market. Keep in mind, that's a very uneducated assumption though. I could be completely wrong about that.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've seen that before with other makes, just having a really hard time swallowing that for Dunhill unless they're rejects - and sold by a random guy on eBay rather than a more official channel

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
NOS is New Old Stock, yeah, theoretically unsold (so different from an unsmoked estate in that way). It occurs in all kinds of ways - shops close and liquidate, shops sit on stuff accidentally or things get lost during moves, honestly most of the stuff at my "local" B+M would be NOS - they haven't ordered a pipe in years.
When I see NOS from 2002 I think "Okay, it's been in a drawer somewhere". When I see NOS from 1971, I think, "Really, 50 years it's been sitting in a shop? Seems more likely that someone bought it and forgot it."
The danger with these older pipes is that while they are unsmoked, they can require significant maintenance right out of the box - as soon as you handle it, the stem will manifest as oxyidized, for example.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Hard to trust on eBay. $238, 29 bids and 48 watchers with a few days to go put it square in the neighborhood of a new and doubtlessly authentic purchase. Probably more.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
search for N.O.S. Dunhill and you'll find them, probably 3 or 4
Seller's a little cranky with me for wanting to know where they came from, he said 'Many of these Dunhill were part of a huge collection...They stayed at this person home, that’s all.

It is so important for you ?! Do you ask to all sellers where they take their pipes?? '
I think it was OK to question their origin, I bought a NOS Vauen that was a reworked reject. I got suspicious and stripped it down to find a crack through the chamber wall that was only visible after I stripped the chamber and exterior. So he can bite me if he doesn't like it. (I did get a refund on the Vauen, but it took persistence)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Being lost in a drawer for 40-50 years is a little bit of a push for me, brand new. I can see it being bought new and forgotten for a few years.
Wouldn't N.O.S. and new/unsmoked be interchangable terms in this case?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
My understanding is that the distinction between NOS and unsmoked is whether the pipe had ever been sold at retail. Even so, most experienced and respected sellers just call such pipes "unsmoked". When I see a pipe listed as NOS, that signals to me that it's an inexperienced pipe seller and that extra caution is warranted because their claims may not be reliable due to lack of knowledge.
Coincidentally, I have bought examples of both NOS and unsmoked Dunhill pipes in the last month. The NOS was a group 3 Root Briar sold as "new" by Paul's Pipe Shop during their recent 40% off sale, but it was from 1978, so even if it sat in their stockroom for 40 years, it's not "new", it's NOS.
The unsmoked pipe was a 1957 group 3 Tanshell billiard with a box, inner tube, pamphlet, and a deteriorating cellulose Dunhill pipe sock. This came from an antique dealer in Cairo, Egypt via Etsy.
As Sasquatch mentioned, these were not like buying a pipe made last month. The stems on both needed work to remove the oxidation.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
OK - forum rules say no eBay links but I'm not promoting myself or anything I'm selling - but here's a link
N.O.S. Dunhill
There's a few from the same seller - I saw you did find the ones I was looking at

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seller's a little cranky with me for wanting to know where they came from, he said 'Many of these Dunhill were part of a huge collection...They stayed at this person home, that’s all.

It is so important for you ?! Do you ask to all sellers where they take their pipes?? '
Cranky seller? Major alarm bells. Who knows? They might even be real.
But I'm not in the market, and if I were, it wouldn't be from this period. Those were the days when I'd pop in to the Dunhill store in Beverly Hills, take a look in the case, shake my head, and the guy behind the counter would nod and say, "It's just not quality anymore. It's embarrassing."

Oct 7, 2016
The seller I am seeing is an entirely reputable Italian hobbyist turned eBay seller. I gave bought from him as has one good friend with complete satisfaction. I doubt that the nuances between N.O.S and unsmoked translate very well. I also doubt that any extra caution is needed because of his assumed inexperience. He gets good word from somewhere, has for the last year or so I have watched him, and if I were in his shoes I wouldn't tell you where it was coming from.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
He gets good word from somewhere, has for the last year or so I have watched him, and if I were in his shoes I wouldn't tell you where it was coming from.
And if you were snappy and offensive about it, I'd be saying have a good day and be moving on. It's not like I can hold the thing in my hand and study it. It's a virtual sale.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
No, I was polite. He's probably swamped with the same question, and I did not take offense thinking the language barrier was probably interfering the question and response. I didn't ask where he got them, just what kind of situation it was. So if he responded something that sounded really unlikely to be true, I would not have had confidence to bid. It's reasonable to answer questions to give buyers confidence to bid. How did these come to be NOS isn't a silly question in my book. A private collection was a reasonable answer I didn't find implausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.