PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamacfa

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
Alabama
I am new to pipe smoking and love the flavor and smell of boswells northwoods. I would like to try some other tobaccos that would be similar to this, any suggestions. Thanks
Edit: Moved to Pipe Tobacco Discussion, L.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
John ! Glad you made it over here. John is a woodworking friend of mine, and an all around great guy. I've never tried Northwoods, but figured you guys would have some good suggestions for him.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I've tried many tobaccos but none of the Boswell blends they are on the top of my list.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I've smoke quite a few English blends and a fair amount of Northwoods and can't say that I've found any other English that compares to it. Nice mild English flavor with a fairly pleasant room aroma. It's kind of pricey (about $60/lb.) but the Boswells only use top quality tobaccos and it shows. You can buy small amounts to try it out or ask for a sample if you are ordering something else.

Smokey

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I love sending samples, once I get some Northwoods to try I'll send you some samples that compare to it.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just get some pine tree sap, dilute it with water, and spray it on any heavy latakia English blend, presto! A Northwoods-simular blend!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
You picked one of the best possible English blends to start out with!
If you like Northwoods, try Maltese Falcon, Odyssey, and Chelsea Morning from GL Pease; Larry's Blend from Hearth and Home; Cordial and Epiphany from Cornell and Diehl; or Frog Morton, Legends, Wilderness or British Woods by McClelland.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
bamacfa, I have since smoked a few other English blends and would suggest you try Larry's Blend from P&C. It's not an exact match, but it's the closest I've found.
I can't let that comment about soaking Latakia with tree sap and water go unanswered. J.M. Boswell has been blending fine tobacco since 1975 and his son Dan started in the mid-90s. I consider them among the best blenders this country has to offer and have smoked a LOT of their tobacco. If you don't like it, fine, but that's no reason to insult them.

Smokey

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"Countryside" from Boswells is similar to Northwoods, minus the perique.
Dunhill MM965 is a little heavier.
GLP Meridian is also a very familiar smoke.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Just ordered Northwoods and a few other Boswell blends, I'm willing to swap samples. I'm trying to taste all I can.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Al --- There is absolutely no perique in Northwoods. It contains latakia, virginia, black cavendish, and (I suspect but am not certain) either some truly esoteric topping or some type of oriental leaf.
Countryside is delicious, and it IS similar to Northwoods, but perique isn't offered in any blends made by Boswells. In Countryside, the latakia is applied with a far lighter hand. Also, I suspect the base contains some burley and there is definitely a mild aromatic agent added. It's a quintessential "crossover" English/aromatic, while Northwoods is a very smoky, unique English mixture.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I love Northwoods, straight or cut with Carter Hall, 3/4 Northwoods and 1/4 Carter Hall, I call it Carter Woods I think the Burley in CH tempers the woodsy effect of Northwoods, at least for me, it is my Bushogging mixture, get on the tractor, fill up a big Edwards and put it in gear. LOL. The old cajun

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al --- There is absolutely no perique in Northwoods. It contains latakia, virginia, black cavendish, and (I suspect but am not certain) either some truly esoteric topping or some type of oriental leaf.
Countryside is delicious, and it IS similar to Northwoods, but perique isn't offered in any blends made by Boswells. In Countryside, the latakia is applied with a far lighter hand. Also, I suspect the base contains some burley and there is definitely a mild aromatic agent added. It's a quintessential "crossover" English/aromatic, while Northwoods is a very smoky, unique English mixture.

Ah yes Doc. Countryside has the Orientals but Northwoods does not. I do like how JM seems to use black cavendish in almost all of his blends. I enjoy the slightly heavier latakia in Northwoods.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I'm not sure whether there is or isn't any orientals in Northwoods (and I don't taste them at all in Countryside). Boswell's doesn't let on all of their ingredients, and TobaccoReviews is notoriously unreliable insofar as determining blend contents. There are flavor notes in Northwoods that I've only experienced with blends containing orientals (Maltese Falcon, Samarrah and Odyssey, to be specific), but that's not conclusive. I imagine there are flavoring agents out there that might mimic the effects of orientals.

Status
Not open for further replies.