PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Where we live in Minnesota, we are farther north than 2/3rds of Canada's population. It gets cold here. This winter we've already had a blizzard that left us with 20" of snow and four trees across our 800-foot long driveway. It gets so cold here that it will freeze a bottle of Jack Daniels (I have the photos to prove it!)
So, my question is "What do you other Northerners do to enjoy a bowl full when it's too cold to sit outside for an hour to smoke and it's too early to put out your fishing shanty on the ice?" My garage is not heated.
I don't want to hear anyone suggest I smoke in the house. Mama won't be happy with that and if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't smoke in the house either but I have a set-up in the garage with my satellite radio, laptop and ceramic heater. I know we don't get as cold here in eastern PA as you do but there must be away to heat your space.

Actually, we spent the last 2 winters in SC and Florida. An easy, but expensive option.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My commute to and from work is a great opportunity to enjoy a bowl in the winter. Crank the heater, open the sunroof and I'm good to go.
I also find it important to take advantage of warmer days. Been -20C with a windchill of -35C for the past couple days, and it is supposed to stay this cold for the next 2 weeks. That balmy -8C last week was heaven by comparison.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Colorado at 8100 feet elevation:

In my unheated garage with the garage door raised about a foot or less, dressed in pack boots, heavy clothing, a hooded coat, Ushanka, & fingerless gloves. For some reason my wife calls me Aqualung. My iPhone and/or iPad or the radio keep me company. More often just outside if its not windy, its never too cold to smoke outside.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Mama won't be happy with that and if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

LoL, that goes both ways. it's your home too.

The key to a happy home is moderation. I'd just light up one bowl of 1Q when you settle in for the evening and hope for the best. Break her in like you would a pipe and take it slow and easy. She'll get use to it if she wants a happy husband. 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mama won't be happy with that and if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
And another tiny piece of manhood dies. Learn to breath smoke. When done properly, most people won't even notice you smoking.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wives tend to be hotter and bite more during the break-in period, so be careful of that! I would get a nice, safe, UL-approved space heater for the garage.
EDIT: By the way, you really need to turn Northern Pipe Smoking Blues into a song. I'm thinking Stevie Ray with some Townes Van Zandt overtones. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Wives tend to be hotter and bite more during the break-in period, so be careful of that!
Mine knows who pays the bills, and where the front door is.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nah. Out of all the things I can bitch about in life, my wife ain't one of 'em. We both used to smoke cigarettes, and neither one of us liked to smoke indoors. Gets too stuffy. Sometimes if I'm smoking on the patio when it's either very hot or very cold, she reminds me I am welcome to smoke in the kitchen with the sliding glass door open and the screen closed. While I appreciate it, I usually decline.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Okay, some of you guys don't understand my wife. This is my TEXAN wife shooting her .454 Casull. No way do I want to my find myself at the business end of her wheelgun.
Both of us were born in the KY mountains and were shooting shotguns before we were five. Yeah, think I get it. :mrgreen:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Even if I didn't respect my wife (and I do), there's not a chance I'd smoke in our home, I wouldn't want the place to smell like a pipe. Get a good propane heater for the garage, fire that up and enjoy life and a peaceful home. I say good on you cabinfever for honoring your wife's wishes. Guys that don't, we call them "single".

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
and knows where my 1911 is
My Girlfriend don't have access to my firearms, she has her own gun safe, but we have a deal, she's not allowed to shoot me with anything that I have goten her, some day I will find out how much a crossbow hurts :rofl: :rofl:

Jun 4, 2014
I head down to my shop in the basement when the weather starts to turn cold. The wife doesn't mind if a wiff of pipe smoke driffs upstairs,but if I want to fire up a cigar then I need to open up the bilco door and turn on the fan. I've done my share of smoking on the deck in the cold or in the garage huddled next to the milk house heater.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I just tell mine, "If it ever comes to that, just make it quick!" She's a research chemist by profession, so if she REALLY wanted to, she could make it much worse. (Note to self: Stop watching so many true-crime shows on Discovery ID.) :wink:

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
I just tell mine, "If it ever comes to that, just make it quick!" She's a research chemist by profession, so if she REALLY wanted to, she could make it much worse. (Note to self: Stop watching so many true-crime shows on Discovery ID.) [:wink:]
Along these lines, when my wife is upset with me she says, "Enjoying that lemonade?" Think about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.