PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
My love for the large English bent bulldog continues to this day. The Dunhill 5108 are near impossible to get right now in a smooth finish. This is making me look for a quality English made bent bulldog in group 5 from another maker. I came across Upshall and Northern briars about 6 years ago but never had either in the hand. I have heard Upshall has slipped over the decade and can't get exactly what I want, so the that leaves Northern Briars. Anyone with any experience with Ian's pipes? Anyone bespoke one? How would it compare to Dunhill and Ferndown as I am quite familiar with those.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Northern is one of my favorites and I have collected a number of Ian's pipes including rhodesian and free forms. They are really nice pipes and if you like massive bowls and large chambers - Northern is for you.
I can't compare to Ferndown but as for me Northern is at least the same level as good Dunhill if not better.
So I would recommend to go for this.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's an Upshall bulldog I would recommend. Sold by a quality ebay reseller.

I predict this will go in the $150 range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371171591729?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That is a really nice shape. I have heard good things about Northern Briars. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.