PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Does anyone know much about these pipes? I see them around the estate sites from time to time and they look great! However, I don't think I've ever really heard anyone talk about them or know anyone who has one...

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
They are fine pipes in my limited experience, particularly for the price. They do tend to be on the large size.

Read their website about them. I think it's cool that his studio is on a barge to avoid a lot of the strict English manufacturing red tape. I have two, and I have my eye on another. They're typically big hefty pipes made for big smokes. I have one of his wardens that rocks a huge bowl. As Mike said, the details are just spot on, nothing fancy, but well made.

Interesting guy and studio, and a very well made pipe.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Ian Wlker is a great guy with real technical skill. I'm actually going to be on his longboat next week - I'm collecting a new pipe from him and he's invited my grandchildren (11 & 9) so that they can have a look at his workshop and see him work. My pipe:
M1vaVrQl.jpg

Andy

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a smooth apple which is about a group 5 or 6 in size, it smokes very well and I would not hesitate to purchase another. Also, Ian is a heck of a nice guy, I have met him several times at the Columbus show. I also agree with Mike, they are a very underrated handmade pipe line.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
His sea urchin design is amazing. He does Pipes and Pleasures each year before the NASPC show. They are too large for me but I would definitely pick one up if I could find one light enough.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I should have known when Marty Pulver started carrying quite a few that they would be good pipes. I just haven't fallen in love with one yet that has trumped my estate PAD.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I recently bought a dual stem poker,its wonderful. Large bowl that feels great in the hand. I would certainly recommended them to anyone, although my experience is limited.
Plus one on the sea urchin, I'd certainly smoke one of those with pride.
I'm currently saving my pennies for a bulldog/Rhodesian , and have my beady eye on a Northern Briars one.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
quincy
IMHO another brand that flies below the collector radar, which is a real shame. Well made in a more classic British shape scheme, but some with a little shape modifications. Also they offer a few shapes that are clearly theirs like the sea urchin.
Nice fit and finish. Drilling is very good. Stem work is better than many. Priced very well.
I bought a plateau rimmed bent Dublin at the West Coast Pipe Show 2 years ago. The pipe was larger than my norm, so I passed it along after I had smoked it a few times. IF I could find a few more to in my size range I'd be sure to add a few to my collection.
Plus Ian Walker ( the carver ) is just a hell of a nice man.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler
What Mike said!
Pipestud

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Am I making it it up, or did I hear that there is some connection to Dunhill? Not that they're seconds or anything like that, but that Mr. Walker worked there or something?

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Nevermind. Finally got on the Website. It was "Duncan" pipes. Amazing what a little reading can do!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Ian Walker was kind enough to make our forum-pipe for 2014, a classic prince:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I always like this "Countryman" shape that he does. Most are way too large, around 90 grams. Sally, aka the Pipe Tart had him make one in a 50 gram weight this winter and offered it to me, but I had just purchased a Rad so I had to pass. Someone snapped it p retty quickly.
DSC01353.jpg

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Ian Walker is a fabulous to deal with, a real gent, his pipes smoke excellently and break in very quickly. I've got more than one Northern Briar and would buy more.
Occasionally his pipes look a little rushed. I've got pipes where the walls are slightly thicker on one side than the other, so the tobacco chamber isn't central and I've got pipes where the base of the tobacco chamber isn't symmetrical. Personally I like the individuality this brings and like I said they do smoke excellently

Status
Not open for further replies.