PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The generic names of tobacco associated with states include Virginia, that is actually also grown

in other states, nations and on other continents. Kentucky often refers to burley, and

Dark Fired Kentucky to dark fired burley. I know of only a few blends that refer to Carolina,

like McClellands Deluxe Carolina 805, which could be either North or South Carolina. I know

Carolina has always grown major amounts of cigarette tobacco, but I'm sure that they supply

Virginia and maybe some burley leaf for pipes. Any of you tobacco historians know how

North Carolina got sidelined in most of the tobacco leaf naming rights?

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
VIRGIA tobacco didn't originate in Virginia but the name has always stuck. The world is full of things like this, you can either accept it as is or get angry about things you can't change.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gosh, I'm not perturbed about this lack of a generic North Carolina tobacco. I'm just interested that that's the way

it fell out. You know, despite the vast cultural and economic decline of tobacco, North Carolina is still the

largest tobacco producing state, and I'm sure a fraction of that goes to pipe tobacco production. Also, since

there are several blenders and retailers who are members of Forums, it might inspire some of them. You

never can tell. We do have Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco. Maybe there could be blends like Greensboro, Asheville,

and Hillsborough. Neuse River Burley blend, or Cape Fear River. Some of those might have a ring.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I like it, North Carolina has such a rich history that there should be no shortage of blend names. Kitty Hawk has a nice ring to it. Roanoke for a tie-in to SWR. Virginia Dare for a play on words. Any blends named after Blackbeard? Lowrie could be a berry based aromatic. There is lots of possibilities. :)
CROATOAN.....ok maybe that one isn't such a good idea.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
For all the bikers out there, including me, let's not forget "Tail of the Dragon" for US 129. Something with spice and a smoky flavor might be a fitting blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All credit due Altadis for naming their Va/bur/Cav/rum aromatic "Queen Anne's Revenge." The only drawback to that

is that many won't understand the reference to Edward Teach's (Black Beard's) flagship's name. Of course, the allusion

is to pirates being big drinkers of rum. The ship was discovered, probably where it was scuttled by the pirates themselves,

in the shallows at the North Carolina coast, where it is being carefully salvaged and the artifacts preserved, including

cannons and ships fittings. No treasure yet. Aaarggh!
Great Carolina associated proposed blend names! It's a goldmine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
phonomet, no question about it. There used to be a huge industry in tobacco auction houses, and I always meant

to attend but never did. This was the big payday for thousands of tobacco farmers statewide. Now most leaf is

grown under contract. It's a changed world. But it is still a huge industry in North Carolina. On my drive to work over

32 years, I watched the old tobacco barns torn down and melting into the grass. My late wife grew up partly on

her grandparents' tobacco farm in Dover, in Eastern N.C., and used to "stick tobacco," that is, tie the leaf to sticks

to hang for curing in the tobacco barn. Corn, cotton, soy, vegetable truck farming, and other crops and livestock

have taken up some of the slack.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
But I've been disturbed to see the tobacco patches around my area turn to corn patches. Corn seems to be the new cash crop.
Not in NC, but all I ever see around me is corn. That and cow peas. Lots and lots and lots of corn. Good for Monsanto. Not so good for people. I grow everything but corn,,,,

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
These days here in North Carolina most of what were tobacco fields when I was a kid now have buildings on them.One reason is that tobacco is a labor intensive crop.These days it's hard to find folks who will do that labor.In the old days families did it.Young folks today have no interest in farm life.Other crops can be farmed with machines and take a far smaller labor force...As far as A North Carolina tobacco I think Blue Ridge sounds good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My atlas has wandered, but other names for blends might be Eno River, Durham County, Winston-Salem,

Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Bryson City, Clingmans Dome, Grandfather Mountain, Raven Rock,

Hanging Rock, Fontana Dam, Mount Pilot, New Bern, Outer Banks, Emerald Isle, Nantahala, Black River,

Lenoir County, Tryon Palace, Elizabeth City, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Five Points (a neighborhood in

Raleigh). If I find the atlas, I may come up with more, if not better. Conamara (spelling) the old

Carl Sandberg estate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Should have said earlier, the suggestion of Virginia Dare, as a play on words, brilliant.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I must have been in the wrong parts of what appears to be a very charming state that welcomes tobacco.
Being stationed in Fort Bragg for a while in 2007/8, and wandering off base into Fayetteville, this is pretty much what I remember seeing: http://youtu.be/tHnA94-hTC8

Status
Not open for further replies.