Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » Meerschaum Pipes

North Bay Fire Department to J.W. Sewall K228 (Pic Heavy)

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got this one it at cost of a nice cigar. The pipe was presented by North Bay Fire Department (Ontario) to a Mr. or Ms. J.W. Sewall K228. I wrote to the seller about the history of the pipe if any and I also would be writing to the Fire Chief and his staff at North Bay if they had anyone working with the same name.

The stem is loose seems to have a repair band, the mouth bit is chipped. I don't plan to get anything replaced on this pipe. Just going to get it cleaned and a little buffed to dull the scratches.

Enjoy the pictures !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool pipe, I love the added history as well.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice, classy, historic piece.

Better hide it from weezil...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very NICE. Love a pipe with history. Especially pipes that have been smoked, not just put in a drawer or trunk and forgotten.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Philo - I am emailing the Fire Chief of the city as soon as I reach home from work today.
    @jay lol Weezel should love it

@Ash Made me think of you when I saw the engraving on the silver. Hopefully it will buff out good and with amber stem just cleaned and set aside for history, i'll be more than happy to smoke it with a replacement stem. Amber gets brittle or so I've heard.

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Terrific shots of an historical piece. So fine!

I bet Georged will look at the repair and hopefully comment. To create a round and tapered repair ferrule to fit like that is no mean feat.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#jpm I should thank the seller for the gorgeous shots. George already has a box of pipes from me. So apart from a basic clean I am going to keep the pipe till George can make a pipe for me to smoke this pipe. Till then its going to be a display pipe.

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sablebrush52, dino