PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Evening friends,
I picked up a couple of house pipes in ebay auctions and thought I'd share some before and afters with you. As far as I can tell, only the Blatter & Blatter pipe was actually carved in-house/shop while the Garfinkle and Shenandoah were likely factory seconds branded as house pipes by Garfinkle and Georgetown Tobacco respectively. I LOVE this little mini-warden by the Blatter Bros in Montreal. It is my newest addition to my collection.
As always, comments, feedback and recommendations on how to clean up pipes are welcome and appreciated.
Have a lovely evening gang,
-- Pat
Shenandoah Squashed Apple - Stem Delivered Broken

Garfinkle Author

Blatter & Blatter Mini-Warden

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
wow that shenodoah pipe would have been really cool if the stem was still attached. Really like that blatter too.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
wow that shenodoah pipe would have been really cool if the stem was still attached.
Totally... ebay seller made good with a partial refund. I'm having a new stem made by Mike Meyers with two others that I have in for repairs. Thinking of a cream coloured swirl in acrylic. Thoughts?
-- Pat

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Really nice restorations there. If you're wishing to replace stems and are open to Lucite, there are some amazing blocks available at exoticblanks.com. You just need to find someone to carve the stems for you. Surprising what a colorful Lucite stem will do on an old strummel. Really nice haul of estate pipes.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Surprising what a colorful Lucite stem will do on an old strummel.
Heya Kashmir, I agree entirely. I am absolutely up for a lucite stem. Was thinking a sort of cream/vanilla swirl would look good with the Georgetown pipe.
If this were my pipe, I'd see if I can keep the original stem -- it's like new, I like the color and it has the Georgetown "G." I'm pretty sure you can get it fixed.
Thanks for the thoughts Roth. I will send the existing stem down to Mike with the request that if possible he help salvage/fix it. If that's not doable, I'll resort to a new stem. I didn't think about replacing the tenon as an option, acrylic/lucite is a mystery to me.
The Georgetown Tobacco Shenandoah Squashed Apple pipe looks very much like an author to me -- specifically, a Savinelli 320 KS.
That's interesting. I agree totally on the shape, I'll have to research Georgetown Tobacco to find out who made their house pipes. There are a four fills on this pipe that clearly make it a second. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if it originated in a known factory.
Truly appreciate the kind words, advice and suggestions gang.
Thanks much,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.