PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
131106_SBR_illoRockwelljpgCROPoriginal-original.jpg

Here's the information on the Rockwell studio fire in 1943.
From: "My Adventures As An Illustrator" by Norman Rockwell.Chapter XVI
I Rise from the Ashes
"Then, still recovering from the Four Freedoms, I painted a Boy Scout calendar, shipping it off to Brown and Bigelow in St. Paul, Minnesota, late one afternoon. And that night my studio burned to the ground. It was my own fault. Schaef and I had attended a hunting and fishing lecture given that evening at the high school by a mutual friend, Lee Wulff. Afterward the three of us had returned to my studio and talked until about half past eleven. As we left, I leaned over to switch off the fluorescent light, and ashes must have dropped from my pipe onto the cushion on the window seat, because the next thing I knew it was one-thirty in the morning and my son Tom was banging on the bedroom door and yelling, "Pop, the studio's on fire!"
I looked out the window. A storm of flame crackled red and molten gold in the interior of the studio and rolled in a thundering cloud of sparks and smoke through the roof. The leaves of the apple tree by the driveway glinted against the surrounding darkness.
Pulling on a pair of pants and buttoning my shirt, I ran downstairs and tried the phone. Dead. The wires came across the river and through the studio. Mr. Wheaton, our hired man, rushed out of his room...and I dispatched him in the car to Walt Squires' house, a half mile up the road, to call the fire department. Then I ran outside to see if anything could be saved.
But it was no use; I couldn't get within thirty feet of the studio. After a minute the .22 and shotgun shells I'd kept in a drawer began to explode..."
"I didn't feel sad at all. Maybe I was in a state of shock. I was a bit troubled by the loss of all my pipes, but later that morning as I was poking about the ruins, several of the men in town arrived, bringing me some new pipes".

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Kashmir that was an inspiring story of the power of the human spirit. That was a great read. I found myself wanting to read it again or read more of the story. Mr. Rockwell paints what some believe was a romantic notion of what the USA one was. I believe that if more of true life was as portrayed in his paintings there would be less pain in the world. A great nation after the second world war has fallen on tough times, I am Canadian but believe with a huge change in attitude it can again become what it once was. More people like Mr. Rockwell's neighbours are needed to put the wheels back on.

Jan 8, 2013
Great post! :) I get a kick out of how his studio, containing not only his pipes but the tools of his trade... his livelihood, burns to the ground and he's thinking of his pipes! And then his neighbors bring him new pipes :) Amazing story. I love it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, Anthony, that's what I got out of it too. He looses his studio - but is most concerned about the loss of his pipes. Then the neighbors bringing over extra pipes! Classic pipe lore.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Priorities... Rare and valuable artwork and my living (Not that it was to him or at that time) or my pipes. I'm sad I lost my pipes. Hooray for friend I ahve new pipes! Great story!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Kashmir,
Thanks for sharing that story. Rockwell has always been an inspiration for me, and this story reinforces that. He used driers in his paint to make them set up faster so that he could make his deadlines, and once wrote that his paintings should have exploded.
I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him without a pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Those pesky ashes...the hazards of absent minded clenching.
I’ve always enjoyed Norman Rockwell paintings...they invoke a nostalgia for life in the Old Constitutional Republic.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Cortez, I've seen that picture dozens of times, and only just now got the joke :oops:

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Don't worry, I have seen the picture dozens of times also, and missed the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.