PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Untitled by Ralph Meliso, on Flickr
This afternoon I framed some new art for my man cave. I purchased this Norman Rockwell self portrait Saturday at the Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, MA. If you have the ability, I highly recommend that you make the trip to visit Stockbridge. The town is small but charming, and the museum is wonderful. Included in their displays are all 323 Saturday Evening Post covers illustrated by Rockwell. This painting appeared on the February 13, 1960 cover. I did a quick count of the covers which depict every day life, many of which show the subjects smoking. Mostly cigars and in by my count, 15 smoking pipes. Just by chance I had taken a Savinelli billiard with me, which looked right at home in Rockwell's home town.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
We visited Stockbridge,Mass.around 15 years ago and the highlight of the trip for me was visiting the Norman Rockwell Museum. By chance were you able to tour his studio out back or was it closed at this time. Oh yeah, I have the Triple self Portrait in my man cave as well, along with Stockbridge at Christmas and a photo of Mr.Rockwell in his studio seated at his Easel holding his beloved Pipe...it was taken by his longtime friennd and photographer Louie Lamone.
Cheers,--Eric

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I have an old client who's mother was a dear friend of Rockwell's. They grew up together and stayed close. When my client was born, Rockwell painted a piece for his beloved childhood friend. It has been appraised by 4 museums and listed as museum quality piece due to it being a personal piece that he did for an old friend. It was on display in a museum in Miami for a year, then went to Chicago. It has been archived and is now on permanent museum tour.
I sat and studied that piece every time I went to his house. He let the museums send it around to keep his kids from trying to make him sell it..... greedy lil monsters. I have a feeling it will be donated to a museum through his trust when he dies. He has stated several times that he will not let the kids get their hands on it. Was very nice to actually see one of his originals in a casual setting.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
The studio is closed for the season. I will get back there in the spring and will go when I know it is open.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I love Rockwell.. I inherited my grandfathers copy of this
199644741.0.m.jpg

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
The studio is closed for the season. I will get back there in the spring and will go when I know it is open.
gphenry, you will enjoy it tremendously, everything is just as Norman left it in the late 70's complete with some of his pipes and the old metal bucket that he was always catching on fire when he knocked his pipe out in it which also contained his old rags with Turpentine, after which he would pick the thing up and throw it out in the yard!
Cheers,--Eric :)

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Just like the bucket under my work bench Eric. We will go back to the museum and then walk around the shops in Great Berrington. The studio is open May to November.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Just like the bucket under my work bench Eric. We will go back to the museum and then walk around the shops in Great Berrington. The studio is open May to November.
I hope to make it back to Stockbridge again someday soon, I can see why Norman Rockwell spent the last 25 years of his life there. Such an adorable place and when we were there, still untouched by the hands of time!
Cheers,--Eric

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Thanks for posting this. Norman Rockwell is an easy painter to take for granted. His work has become so iconic it can function as background noise, but every time someone brings a piece to my attention I find it to be startlingly well executed. I would very much love to see his museum and learn more about him.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
very nice, love the aspect of the picture, and of course it fits this forum very well. notice the painters on the right side, they must have been the one who have inspired him, I haven't heard from him, so it will be interesting to find more information about norman rockwell

Status
Not open for further replies.