PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Does anyone use them? I find them effective and non interruptive of the smoke in any way. I try to use them as often as possible.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I recently picked up a tin after considering them for a long time. I like 9mm Charcoal filters for when my tongue needs to take it easy and I thought they might be the answer for my unfiltered pipes. In my cobs the little ones fit into the shank so they're not changing the bowl capacity or shape at all.

But really I haven't made up my mind on them yet. I think they steal much of the flavor whereas the charcoal not so much. Also they're very dusty and ik for use in growing, the expanded clay, which is what they are, needs to be washed first. But yet for human use they remain unwashed? I wondered if washing them would somehow ruin them, of course they would have to dry first.

And as someone else mentioned if I put too many in the pipe smokes hotter, I'm guessing because of the extra air in the bottom of the bowl. They do eliminate most tongue bite bit also really change the flavor for me anyway, so far.. and there's no instructions whatsoever, no guideline for quantity. How many is good? One, three, twenty? With the keystone pipe I see people put a whole like in. I go for smaller ones a d use three to five. I put a couple in my kirten valve to soak up the juice and it did bit even back there it seemed to reduce and taint the flavor. It did suck up a lot of juice tho.

So I would like to know what peoples procedure for using them are.

Also does anyone use activated charcoal o. The bottom of the bowl for unfiltered pipes? I just ordered the 6mm charcoal filters so I'm hoping they work well I the cobbs, even if i can't use my forever stem.

Interesting I was thinking to start a similar thread so Seanv that is for that..

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I just mentioned using them in a recent post.

I have nearly a hundred filtered pipes, but when smoking a non-filtered pipe I use stones.

And it offers the same effect!

Reminds me to consider buying them, when a nice rarity is available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I address tongue bite, chemical burn, moisture problems, and taste fatigue other ways than with stones, filters, inserts, etc. However, if they work to make your pipe smoking better, I'd sure use them. Admittedly, I like to keep things simple and not add additional accessories and supplies if possible. I use choice of blends, drying tobacco when indicated, tamping, and other strategies to keep smoke cool and flavorful. A filter can be useful at a pipe show, pipe shop, or pipe club where you'll be smoking more than usual. I was surprised to find how much less bite and burn there is with even really strong blends or single leaf as compared with some aromatics were I was burning flavorings like cinnamon. I revere Nording pipes, but I have passed on the stones.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've never passed a stone, understand it's quite painful. Nor do I put anything in the heel of the pipe except dry tobacco. Tried filters, but don't find them a positive. But that's me, and your experience and feelings are what counts.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
s-l300.jpg

I have never heard of these before. You just line the bottom of your bowl and pack as usual?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have never heard of these before. You just line the bottom of your bowl and pack as usual?
Yep. These stones came out a few years ago for a line of pipes made for them.
IMG_2009.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I keep meaning to try these. But I wonder, can they be rinsed clean and used again? I imagine, even if so, they would still need to be replaced eventually, but I don't want to order a new tin every week.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
You can reuse the stones till they're black. I don't think they will rinse clean. But even if you use a few new each bowl you won't be ordering them every week there's a few hundred in a tin. And if you were smoking 100 bowls a week you could buy the expanded clay pellets from home depot by the pound for a fraction of the price..

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
You can reuse the stones till they're black. I don't think they will rinse clean. But even if you use a few new each bowl you won't be ordering them every week there's a few hundred in a tin. And if you were smoking 100 bowls a week you could buy the expanded clay pellets from home depot by the pound for a fraction of the price..

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Interesting...this is something I would like to try in my unfiltered pipes. I use the balsa filters in my Savinelli's all the time.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
I use them on humid days in my deeper stacks, and they do reduce the nasty dottle. Another side benefit is when used with tobacco that needs a tight pack, they allow that without tightening the draw (within reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.