PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Christmas ago I was gifted by friends (the guy of the couple is an inveterate pipe smoker) with a Nording Signature pipe. I liked it right away for its irregular interesting shape (freehand of course) and its light weight and very ample bowl and slight bend. It was an immediate good smoker. The finish, as with many or most Nording Signtaure pipes, was a sort of bone beige with some plateau on the brim. My wife immediately liked its rusticity. Over time, like many unfinished or lightly finished pipes, this one has mellowed into a walnut medium dark finish that enhances the irregularities of shape in a pleasing way. It needed almost no break-in but improves with every smoke. And the E. Nording Signature in gold still stands out but now with increased distinction. These are excellent pipes, to judge from my experience.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I'm a big fan of danish pipes (or danish style), and my Nording Signature is probably my favorite pipe. It has colored beautifully. For me, raw unfinished pipes are just as neat as Meerschaums, as they age, smoked and handled, they take on a life of their own, and start to have stories. Mine is a beautiful dark color now with some brilliant grain coming through, sadly, Mr. Nording's signature is fading as the oils soak into the wood.

This pipe is my go to travel pipe as well, and has seen more of the world than most people, I've been documenting it's journeys on a 3x5 card as a sort of journal. I'll have to get a current photo of it to show the grain. But for now:
Lunting in Rothenburg after the city shut down for the night. One of my top pipe smoking experiences, smoking my pipe while walking the covered wall around the city in the still of the night after everyone went to bed.

20161021_010625_zpswp0hk0ao.jpg
[/URL][/img]
My wife and friends wanted to go to some hot spring spa in Basel, I wanted some alone time, so found a beautiful riverside park to sit on a bench and smoke. I do love how accepting people in Europe are to smokers. You can start to see some of the lovely color in this photo.

P1190703_zpsak1gpn4r.jpg

At the end of the summer last year, went on a nice walk near arm near the house. The Nording is just lovely for lunting. It's light, balanced, and has a large bowl for a long smoke.

13912556_10210328113663705_1667488061898194156_n%201_zpskccatdlc.jpg

elguapo

Lurker
Aug 31, 2015
I finally bought one and just received it in the mail yesterday. I filled it with some Black Frigate and had a great smoke right out of the box. I wish I had bought one sooner, great pipe.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
The current look of the pipe. It started off the natural beige bone color, I have never applied any wax or oil to it, but have sometimes wiped it down with a clean cotton rag.
PSX_20170222_133525_zpsdnkk5yrd.jpg

PSX_20170222_133637_zpsts61jarg.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
akflim, yes the grain really deepens and shows more as the pipe ages on mine too. It's another nice feature of the pipe.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I just love showing this thing off since it's one of my all time favorites.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Oh, dang!
I've been looking at one of those, just because it was kinda neat and unusual, but I wasn't really planning on buying it. I had no idea that they would color like that.
You guys make it way too easy to spend my money!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I have a naked freehand and I love how it has colored (4 years). The whole front is a single smooth panel that was blank when I bought it and now shows a gorgeous birdseye

Jan 8, 2013
Here's an older picture of mine. As you can see, the pipes that have more carving or fluting can color very interestingly.
20150526_173931.jpg
[/url][/img]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anthony', your pipe is fluted and grooved a lot like mine, which is good to grasp. edgreen, I love the sitter version; that will be something when it gains color.

Status
Not open for further replies.