PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Though I've been on a Peterson buying frenzy, I'm thinking that my next pipe may be a Nording Signature.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the pipe from those who might have one.
Thanks!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
While I don't have a Signature Free hand, I do have a Nording Freehand and I have to say that it smokes very well. For the price I have no idea why I haven't got my hands on a Signature.
Thanks for the nudge :)

Jan 8, 2013
I own one and I'm surprised I haven't purchased another. The pipes are quite large and mine (although I'm not certain about all of them) has very large chamber. So get ready for what could be a very long smoke. I have three Nordings and the others don't have a chamber as large. Now mine has a wide, deep conical chamber and smokes balkan blends like a dream, which I believe is the opposite of what most people prefer in a bowl for that kind of blend. However I get the best smoke and flavor with that pipe. Another great thing about the Nording Signatures is being unstained or waxed, they patina naturally from the oils in your hand and tobacco. It's fun to watch it darken between smokes. After you've smoked it a few times you'll notice the grain is more pronounced the briar itself becomes a warmer color. You should take a picture of it unsmoked, and after a few bowls take another picture and compare the two.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Nordings are very good pipes. As others have pointed out, they tend to be rather large. They are of roughly the same quality as a Sav or Stanwell, I think, which is to say you are probably going to end up with an average-to-very good smoking pipe even if it lacks the "perfect grain" of a Dunhill (or whatever it is that makes pipes like Dunhill allegedly worth so much). I've enjoyed mine a great deal.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Nordings are very good pipes. As others have pointed out, they tend to be rather large. They are of roughly the same quality as a Sav or Stanwell, I think, which is to say you are probably going to end up with an average-to-very good smoking pipe even if it lacks the "perfect grain" of a Dunhill (or whatever it is that makes pipes like Dunhill allegedly worth so much). I've enjoyed mine a great deal.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have one Nording already, a Grade 3 in a dark brown - probably of similar quality to the Signature series. It's a fantastic smoker, though the briar does have flaws (as you'd expect from a Grade 3).
I like the idea of the pipe "maturing" with use - seems to me the whole point of an unstained, unwaxed pipe.
I have seen one photo of a well-used Signature, and it has taken on quite a different hue from when new, and that does appeal to me.
So I'm thinking maybe another Nording, and not another Pete.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Signature freehand and LOVE IT! Good investment for little dollars...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had my Signature a bit over 2 years and it is a wonderful pipe. I need to post pictures of the color transition over this period of time. It is a great pipe for the money and I don't think you'll be sorry getting one and it is fun watching the color develop.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks, gentlemen. Sounds like I can't go wrong with another Nording.

Status
Not open for further replies.