PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I would love to get your opinions on current Nording Pipes. They appear to be good looking and inexpensive, but I've heard some aren't wild about the brand. I don't know, the only one I have is a very old Collectors Dublin made by the man himself...
Thanks to All!

Dan

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I only have a couple, one is a lower end orange grain freehand. I like it, but it does feel a little cheap in the hand. Smokes fine, but not spectacular. Pretty though.
The other is a compass, which I use as a fishing pipe, excellent clencher and smokes well, great value. I also have a tandem sailor, which is great for clenching, pretty much just like a compass with the short stem, and plenty clenchable with the long one, which is nice.
I have heard others say that Nording pipes really improve in quality as the price goes up. I don't have any of the higher end ones so I can't speak to that, but their lower end stuff is satisfactory at worst, IMO.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just have one of his ducks.
20190321_044716.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeh, I am one of those who weren't impressed with Nording's Compasses. You probably caught my post here: my issues with Nording.
It's OK, and I'll smoke it; but not impressed really. Guess you can say, 'what would you want for $45, huh?'... well, maybe I shoulda gotten a Ropp Etudiant for said cost.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve never smoked one, BUT... I bought a new Valhalla Spigot a few months ago. It looked awesome as shit online and the price was right. When it arrived, I took one look inside, one test draw, and immediately returned it. The pipe felt cheap in hand, and the logo on the stem was already coming off. The draft hole was tiny, and drilled WAY up at the 12 o’ clock position in the shank. The diameter of the drilling in the stem, while dead on, was also tiny. With no tobacco in the chamber, I could barely get it to draw. I’ll not try another factory Nording. The airways were so microscopic that even if they were surgically precise in their placement, I don’t see how that pipe could’ve ever smoked well. Just my two cents. I really wanted to love that pipe, but absolutely no way.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I’ve got a couple. One is a King Dublin and it smokes very well. The other is a pipe that came with a knife in a box set. I won it. Bent billiard with that wormy rustication. I’ve never been very fond of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You get extras with style and maybe materials as you pay more, but I've been satisfied all the way up and down the brand pricing, from a little take-along Eriksen econo-pipe to a Nording hunting pipe. I don't think the mid-range pipes look cheap at all. Nodding does grind them out, all sizes and kinds. I don't like the flowered ones recently produced, but that's a matter of taste.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I only own 1 nording and its dedicated to my favorite blend. I'm very pleased with it and am thinking about getting another one soon. But also my collection in mostly cheap estates and cobs, it's one of only 2 briars I have purchased new. I refuse to pay more than 100 bucks for a pipe so I dont really have to best judgment when it come to comparing pipes in the mid to high end range. That being said I am hoping to commission a pipe from eldritch pipes when I have more disposable income.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I loved my Nordings, especially the hunter's woodcock billiard -- how I hate letting myself sell that one, which smokes as fine as any -- but a rare one may not smoke as well. I had a sitter dublin that just seemed to refuse to give. Too much bend on the draught hole, do you suppose? They have an oversize tomahawk that I want to get one of these days as soon as I can afford it. But in general, a Nording is a good pipe and the aesthetics are unbeatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.