Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Has anyone seen these? Removable bowl to put Nording "keystones", small ceramic pebbles, in to act as a filter. Read the review on the site, and it said that P&C also sold Valhalla stems that would fit them, basically turning them into a churchwarden. Pretty snazzy IMHO. :wink:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipes/84977/nording-eriksen-pipes/

Reactions: Friendly Piper

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes, I got an email leading me to that page in their catalog and looked at those. I didn't read about the alternate stem offering.

A novel concept. Not what is considered expensive at this moment in time. Perhaps I'll wait to hear how wonderful these are for a couple of years before I snatch one up.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
The few folks that I know that have these pipes love them. I kinda dig the look and the price on them is very appealing. I think they would make a great work pipe for me when I am out in the field.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah I saw the advertisement for these. I said the other day I wasn't going to buy anymore pipes for awhile but this might have to be an exception. I might have to be the guinea pig for this pipe and I've been wanting to get a churchwarden as the next pipe........damn you internet!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The stems are listed under "Valhalla bits", and according to the customer review on P&C about the Keystone pipes, they will fit. Pity you have to buy the keystones separately as well. Should have came with a sample pack. :|

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
What is the base material made of? Looks like the sort of polymer you see on pistol grips. I'm intrigued, but not sure it it's really worth it since I have generally been disatisfied with other filter systems. I'm not sure these key stones will be any better and there is no mention how many smokes you should be able to get out of the bag they sell. I also think that a sample would be prudent.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
The one nice thing is you don't have to use the stones, one comment said more flavor w/o stones.
Then you just have a pipe that appears to be more than half plastic that smokes the same or worse possibly than any of your other pipes. Not worth my $30, but to each their own.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
I looked on another website and the bowl itself is briar, the stem and shank are "hard nylon plastic". They're also claiming the stones can be used in any pipe and actually suggest doing so. Sitting around thinking about this pipe makes me want it, but $30 for a potential terrible pipe isn't worth it......then again I've wasted more more on dumber things. I guess what holds me back is the hard nylon plastic, never had any experience with that.
http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=7515#.VMaoP_7F9Ro

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I was given an Eriksen prior to production, and I was very surprised at how well it smoked for the price. I find that I preferred it with the Keystones which made it smoke quite dry. One other nice thing is that they're very light, so it's great as a clencher.
Russ

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The weight listed on P&C's website says 3.1 ounces. Kinda heavy for a plastic stem. :D (Probably a typo, 1.3 ounces sounds right)
I have used the Keystones and they are indeed nice. I didn't find too much detraction from the flavor and for moist blends they did a good job of absorbing most of it.
@khartman These are probably no different than smoking a Falcon. Since the bowl is briar it should taste the same as a regular pipe. Easier to clean as well.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Welp way to go guys, I just bought it, the Valhalla stem and keystones. I was so bored I started looking at the P&C pipe starter kits and picked up the At The Show pipe kit. I felt between pipe, tins and lighter it is a killer deal......I'm weak, the PAD has a massive hold on me.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
PAD is evil, but in a good way. :wink: Let us know what you think when it arrives. I think its a neat idea for a pipe and keystone combination and looks to provide a solid smoke for not much coin.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have one and like it well enough but it's not going to dethrone my Falcons any time soon. The base is a polymer material but it doesn't seem to get got enough to make things taste odd. It did take a while to break in the wretched bowl coating though. I use the Keystones 'cuz after all the pipe is designed to be used with them. Tried it without 'em and it seemed a little harsh and gurgley.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Well it came in today, also picked up a bag of the pellets. Would have been nice to know you get a little tin, but oh well. Also picked up the 5" Valhalla stem, seems to be a rather tight fit, didn't want to force it and break anything. Haven't smoked it yet, but I'll let everyone know.

Status
Not open for further replies.