PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I purchased this Nording around eight weeks ago. I realized from the first bowl that it's an amazingly good smoker. Right out of the sock it smoked from first light to the bottom of the bowl. But for some reason I didn't take to it. No idea why. Maybe I hadn't found the right tobacco for it. Maybe it's that as a grade 3 it has a bit of a fill (not really noticeable, but there). Really, I don't know why.
I put it in the "basement basket" (think the Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) and forgot all about it.
So today I decided to open up my new tin of Bagpiper's Dream. I had received a sample of this wonderful tobacco from papipeguy, and then purchased a tin as my sample dwindled. And I needed the right pipe for it. Nothing in the upstairs pipe rack seemed appropriate. So I looked in the basement basket, and there was the right pipe - the Nording grade 3 sitter. I knew it would smoke wonderfully, even if I wouldn't warm to the pipe itself.
I'm not sure whether it was just that this Nording needed a vacation on the Island of Misfit Toys, or whether I hadn't given it the respect it deserved. Again, as with the first two or three bowls - once lit the pipe stayed lit from top to bottom. Effortless draw. Wonderful feel in the hand. I can only imagine how well it will smoke when it's broken in.
Needless to say this one is moving from the basement basket to the upstairs. But I need a second pipe rack, as several previously "misfit" pipes have remarkably become wonderful.
I chalk all of this up to being a novice pipe smoker, and not recognizing that a quality smoke can be had in pipes that may not be perfect specimens. In fact, maybe the imperfections help to make the pipe.
And now another reasonably inexpensive Nording (this time a signature series) is in my wish list at my favorite vendor - and will be headed here in a day or two when I make the purchase.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't believe you can go wrong with a Nording. I love all of mine. And that's a fine looking pipe! Ahhhhhh I see you were enjoying the lovely Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream.... one of my favorites. That blend seems to smoke perfectly in my Hilson so I've dedicated it to that pipe and vice versa, but I don't believe I've tried it in any of my Nordings. How was the flavor?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Andy - I'm glad you've rescued this pipe from Dr. Moreau.... And am happy it's burning well for you.
Anthony - How man Nordings do you have in the stable now?
-- Pat

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have a Nording Churchwarden and really enjoy it. It smokes like a chap and the appearance is grand. I look forward to getting some more.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
If any if you gentlemen have a Nording signature after a few years of smoking, I'd be interest to see how the bowl darkens and if the grain becomes more evident.
Thanks in advance for any photos added to this thread.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Nice pipe. I bought a big, shiny, freehand Nording early in my pipe smoking career. I liked it a lot but it eventually got assigned aro duty. Every time I show a non-smoker my collection they always point to the Nording as their favorite. Don't smoke a lot of aro's these days but when I do I always get a good smoke out of the Nording. Long, winter smokes in the near future have me considering cleaning it thoroughly and getting some use from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.