Tags:   

NORDING DOWN!!!!

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by cajunplume
  • Latest reply from mikestanley
  1. cajunplume

cajunplume

Login to Send PM

I broke the stem from my pipe leaving the piece that inserts inside. I was able to remove it however now i am a pipe down!! that was my best one!!!! Has anyone tried to super glue this sort of thing? Is there somewhere i can purchase a new stem that will fit my pipe, or is this sort of thing different from pipe to pipe?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Emergency pit stop at Briarville or Tim West sounds like the order of the day!

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. gambit88

gambit88

Login to Send PM

You could superglue it or epoxy it. Might be better off getting a new stem though. The moisture in that area may break down the glue.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. cajunplume

cajunplume

Login to Send PM

Is there some place i would have to send it off to get a replacement stem that would fit my pipe?

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried epoxy. The repair lasted only a day. Best to send it off to a professional "pipe hospital" or pipe maker. Ask shantiquew if he can do this kind of repair. Steven Downey might be able to provide the same service.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd send it off for a new tenon.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's not a big deal. Walker Pipe Repair will get you fixed up.

http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/index.html

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can either get a new stem made or perhaps, depending on the break, just get a new tenon made for the old stem. The latter being the preference. If you have a pipe shop local to you, they probably have a guy that does such work. If not, contact one of the several pipe repairmen around. It isn't a difficult repair. My remedy would be to contact Tim West. Good man, excellent repairer of pipes. http://www.jhlowe.com. As the song says, the waiting is the hardest part.

Mike S.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wonder if at least the Nording freehands don't have somewhat uniform stems that might be purchased from them, or one of the larger online pipe retailers. I think it might be worth calling, say, smokingpipes.com, pipesandicgars, and iwanries. If they don't have them, they might be able to suggest who does. If this is a more unusual Nording, the pipe repairman route might be the most direct; they'd be able to get or make the right stem that will work and look right. In either case, I don't think you are looking at a lot of money, maybe less than $50.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

A Delrin tenon fitted to the original stem is the way to go. It's an easy fix for the pro and there are many out there who can do this very easily. Once it's done, you will never know the difference.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Walker is a great shop for a new tenon. I have one in his shop for exactly that repair.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. cajunplume

cajunplume

Login to Send PM

thanks Gents for all the help. I superglued it. When it breaks off again i will send it off for proper repair to one the requested places.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will the tenon area heat up enough to vaporize super glue to any degree? If it does, this would be kinda dangerous IMHO. I use heated superglue vapors to set latent prints, the fumes are really, really uncool to get in your eyes or breathe. Granted, I don't use it in a hardened state but its something to consider.

Mike S.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele