PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I broke the stem from my pipe leaving the piece that inserts inside. I was able to remove it however now i am a pipe down!! that was my best one!!!! Has anyone tried to super glue this sort of thing? Is there somewhere i can purchase a new stem that will fit my pipe, or is this sort of thing different from pipe to pipe?

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
You could superglue it or epoxy it. Might be better off getting a new stem though. The moisture in that area may break down the glue.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Is there some place i would have to send it off to get a replacement stem that would fit my pipe?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I tried epoxy. The repair lasted only a day. Best to send it off to a professional "pipe hospital" or pipe maker. Ask shantiquew if he can do this kind of repair. Steven Downey might be able to provide the same service.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You can either get a new stem made or perhaps, depending on the break, just get a new tenon made for the old stem. The latter being the preference. If you have a pipe shop local to you, they probably have a guy that does such work. If not, contact one of the several pipe repairmen around. It isn't a difficult repair. My remedy would be to contact Tim West. Good man, excellent repairer of pipes. www.jhlowe.com. As the song says, the waiting is the hardest part.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if at least the Nording freehands don't have somewhat uniform stems that might be purchased from them, or one of the larger online pipe retailers. I think it might be worth calling, say, smokingpipes.com, pipesandicgars, and iwanries. If they don't have them, they might be able to suggest who does. If this is a more unusual Nording, the pipe repairman route might be the most direct; they'd be able to get or make the right stem that will work and look right. In either case, I don't think you are looking at a lot of money, maybe less than $50.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
+1 Walker is a great shop for a new tenon. I have one in his shop for exactly that repair.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
thanks Gents for all the help. I superglued it. When it breaks off again i will send it off for proper repair to one the requested places.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Will the tenon area heat up enough to vaporize super glue to any degree? If it does, this would be kinda dangerous IMHO. I use heated superglue vapors to set latent prints, the fumes are really, really uncool to get in your eyes or breathe. Granted, I don't use it in a hardened state but its something to consider.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.