PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I was wondering about bulldog pipes. They've never attracted me, but I noticed the Valhalla Bulldog 107 and found myself interested in it. Here's the link:https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=252391

My concern is if the bowl will be large enough, but the proportions are so odd compared the billiards I usually smoke, even after taking measurements. This seems a rather small bowl, but I liked the Valhalla design applied to this particuclar pipe. Bulldog smokerers and not, give me your assessment of the pipe. And thoughts you'd care to share?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It is a smallish bowl. The volume is ~8.5 cc. I'm eyeing that same pipe precisely because of its smaller bowl, my smoke sessions being short and all.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Daniel Bumgardner of SPC is free to call that shape anything he wants, but to me it's not a bulldog, it's a carved pot with a diamond shank. Although it's a featherweight with a very small bowl, the carving is fascinating, and it should provide a lot of tactile interest while smoking.

002-508-6209.jpg

Sable, that’s a fantastic bulldog. Love it!

The Valhalla line bully is a little different than that. I have two, the 101 and 401. Are you sure the number is 107? I don’t recall a 107 bulldog.

But, it’s not nearly as deep as my other Nordings. I use mine as aromatic smokers, because they don’t last nearly as long. They are cool looking pipes though, even of the lack the bead lines that defines a bulldog. I do like Sables a lot more though.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Darn! I'm still uncertain. It's just such a damn good looking pipe and looks very handy. It's the bowl proportions that worry me. Order it then return if too small? Pain in the butt but not the first time I've returned a pipe to SP.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Dif a comparison with another smallish bowled pipe. It is tidy, but it can pass muster. I thick I'll pull the trigger on this, experimentally

My opinion... DO IT! It will expand your rotation. Give you variety. Choices. It will give you new ways to explore your favorite tobaccos. I love having different chamber dimensions to chose from. Besides, it’s a Nording, your favorite maker. I see this as a win/win for you. Blame me if it sucks. :puffy:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the encouragement,gents. I was hoping for insights other than mine. I had a very handsome Valhalla before, but it just burned to hot. But this one has lots of ratification. Much thanks again.

Jan 8, 2013
It will give you new ways to explore your favorite tobaccos. I love having different chamber dimensions to chose from.
I agree 100%. Sometimes I want a longer smoke, sometimes a shorter. And I choose the pipe off my rack to accommodate me. You know how I feel about Nordings. You can't go wrong, in my opinion.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Got the Nording bulldog the other day; I'm happy I followed your advice.

This is an interesting pipe.The rustic carving is typical Nording, the pipe itself diminutive although I'd not call it a miniature. I'm thinking this pipe will be ideal when I resume my bike rides through forest trails. Any it real

Y does present for a different type of smoking. Thank, gents!

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
@ sablebrush, I thought a bulldog by definition has a diamond shank (or at least a straight shank). Have I misunderstood the shape?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
An older Nording. If I had to guess, I would say the shape is by Poul Ilsted, "Mr. Bulldog" who worked 2 years for Nørding, then 2 years at Svendborg with Jens Tao Nielsen, and finally an additional year with Nørding followed by nearly 2 years at W.Ø. Larsen in Copenhagen.
nording-bulldog-003-600x449.jpg

A pipe from W.O. Larsen,
larsen-bulldog-600x448.jpg

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.